Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Filling out an application form that is actually a contract?

Re: Filling out an application form that is actually a contr

Postby Boo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:51 pm

A strongly worded letter sent recorded delivery to the company's HR department and Management should be enough to rein them in with regard to pursing her. Explain she was having a manic day and acted impulsively.

In fairness to the these types of recruitment drives - companies are not there to spot those with Bipolar disorders who may be having a depressive or manic day.

I've worked with many people like your niece who have acted impulsively - often it's left to others to untie the knots they get themselves in.

Are her meds are due for a review?

There are a few agencies who dedicate themselves to assisting those with MH disorders who want to get back to work - have a look online for a local resource. Mind is a good place to start. There's also Rethink and Richmond Fellowship.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby derail » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Boo wrote:
In fairness to the these types of recruitment drives - companies are not there to spot those with Bipolar disorders who may be having a depressive or manic day.

I agree. It's not their job to spot potential employees who may have mental health problems and I would never expect someone to be able to do that. That does not mean they're right to call an a supposed contract and application form and then start demanding money because she has suddenly realised that she needs help. I agree on the strongly worded letter but I want to wait for them to produce the "contract" first.

Boo wrote:Are her meds are due for a review?

Unfortunately she doesn't always take them. It's not intentional. She's got no problem with taking them but she doesn't always remember or thinks she's taken them when she hasn't.

I suspect this may have happened on the job fair day although she's adamant that she did take her meds. I can't push it as she'll think I'm accusing her of lying which she's not. She is likely to have simply forgotten.
derail

Postby diy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm

If they offered her a job and later retracted it when they found out she was disabled, they'll need some deep pockets defending a counter claim.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Hmmmmm.... I didn't want your job so I'm going to sue you for retracting your offer.

If they retract the offer then they confirm there is no contract. If there is no contract there can be no claim for breach of contract.
atticus

Previous

Return to Contract and Consumer Law