Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Multilevel marketing and consumer right?

Multilevel marketing and consumer right?

Postby diy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:19 am

Multilevel marketing is very popular in the food supplements industry as it can be a very good way to scale sales and marketing. i'm sure we can all think of the classic door to door cosmetics company that made a good job of it and built a fairly good reputation. However, in an industry where benefit claims can be misleading at best, it is easy to see how desperate distributors make claims that their product can help you drop 1 stone a week, stop you getting flu and help you fight cancer.

I'm insterested if a consumer's rights are hampered?

If i walk in to a high street chemist and buy the latest slimming aid "Sh@tyourselfslim" and on the advice of the counter assistant triple the dose for maximum benefit only to find it cooked my internal organs, i can sue the multi million pound establishment for my damages. If on the other hand i buy it from margery dawes at no 23 who rents her house and has finance on her car, I'm substantially weakened.

If I could show however, that sh@tyourselfslim where aware of bad practice amoung distributors could I sue them instead?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: Multilevel marketing and consumer right?

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:46 am

diy wrote:If I could show however, that sh@tyourselfslim where aware of bad practice amoung distributors could I sue them instead?

If you could show it, and that they were doing nothing about it, then certainly. If they were doing their best to stamp it out then I am less certain.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Consumer Protection Act 1977
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:16 am

So Margery Dawes isn't a party to the claim unless she obstructs the naming of the producer. It doesn't cover exaggerated claims or missuse, though, which I'd guess are more of a trading standard issue.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Return to Contract and Consumer Law