Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Solicitor buying a house

Solicitor buying a house

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:58 am

Okay a bit of an overlap with the previous post but really totally different.

We have a few more weeks than we thought so this is good. So I've been looking at the offer to keys process and it can take a number of months or weeks. It would appear that the bottle neck is often the Solicitor. Anyone know why this is and now it might be speed-ed up?

Thanks
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Re: Solicitor buying a house

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 am

Instruct your solicitor to action all steps promptly and minimise delay.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby atticus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:23 am

Because people love to blame the solicitor. Shooting the messenger is so easy.

Get your mortgage application under way,ensure funds are available in principle. Getting the mortgage takes longer than you think.
atticus

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 am

Some lawyers are more organised than others - no doubt about that. Even so, if a lawyer is not doing your job it is almost always because he is doing someone else's. That is partly because work does not come in an even flow and partly because lawyers, like anyone in business, do not like to turn down a job. If your job is urgent you need to make it clear to the lawyer and ask him to let you know if he is too busy to give your matter his immediate attention.

Conveyancing always involves at least two firms. Neither can go quicker than the other allows him. It is regrettably sometimes the case that a conveyancer will give the impression (without expressly saying it) that delay is down to the other conveyancer when it is down to him. Client A then tells client B that it is client B's conveyancer who is not getting on with the job. Client B then gets on to his conveyancer who has to explain, for example, that the reason he has not yet answered client A's questions is because they only arrived in that morning's post. Very often client B is unconvinced as people are more than ready to believe that all lawyers delay and that all delay is down to lawyers. I always used to take pre-emptive action by keeping the client fully up-to-date and having a system which kept all files under constant review.

On a sale, you can help speed things along by telling your conveyancer as soon as you put the property on the market. That will allow him to gather together all the information he needs to prepare a contract to have it ready when a sale is agreed. If you are really in a rush you can instruct him to prepare the documents "in blank".

There are any number of reasons why a conveyancing transaction does not proceed smoothly. The main one is the dreaded chain. Chains happen because mainly because it is the way things have always been done. They could be done away with if people had different expectations, finance providers were more flexible and the conveyancing system was different.
theycantdothat

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 am

Okay cheers guys all noted. I guess a lot of this comes down to luck. Does anyone know can you put in offers for more than one house at a time?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Goldensyrup » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 am

I have always bypassed solicitors and used property conveyancers. Far slicker and cheaper.
Goldensyrup

Postby miner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Goldensyrup wrote:I have always bypassed solicitors and used property conveyancers. Far slicker and cheaper.

Me too, and I have been entirely satisfied with the manner in which the job has been done, and the price charged.
miner

Postby atticus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Mortgages?
atticus

Postby miner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:19 pm

What about mortgages?
miner

Postby atticus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Previously asked
Russell wrote:Okay cheers guys all noted. I guess a lot of this comes down to luck. Does anyone know can you put in offers for more than one house at a time?

Previously answered: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5095#p72582
atticus

Next

Return to Contract and Consumer Law