Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

100%?

100%?

Postby Hairyloon » Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 pm

We often see on the label of foodstuffs the claim that something is 100% pure. I doubt very much that this is 100% true in most, if indeed any cases: they may be 99.9% pure, or 99.999% and I was moved to wonder how close one needs to be before 100% is not misleading.
There is a sound argument that anything over 99.5 can be taken as 100, but I do not think that argument should hold water here: the average punter probably expects 100% to mean 100%.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: !00%?

Postby Millbrook2 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:15 am

Hairyloon wrote:We often see on the label of foodstuffs the claim that something is 100% pure. I doubt very much that this is 100% true in most, if indeed any cases: they may be 99.9% pure, or 99.999% and I was moved to wonder how close one needs to be before 100% is not misleading.
There is a sound argument that anything over 99.5 can be taken as 100, but I do not think that argument should hold water here: the average punter probably expects 100% to mean 100%.


Can you give an actual example of such a claim - it would help in considering the issue.
Millbrook2
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am

Re: !00%?

Postby diy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 am

I think it will work a little like this:

Product A is 100% organic
the ingredients are sourced 100% from certified organic sources.

The criteria to be certified organic is based on something that allows for some error.

However, 100% pure beef might be different. Unless the category beef means any part of the cow including the sh*t on its feet?
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: !00%?

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am

something for the OP to read about food labelling etc.

There is also the Advertising Standards Authority.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19846
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: !00%?

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Millbrook2 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:We often see on the label of foodstuffs the claim that something is 100% pure. I doubt very much that this is 100% true in most, if indeed any cases: they may be 99.9% pure, or 99.999% and I was moved to wonder how close one needs to be before 100% is not misleading.
There is a sound argument that anything over 99.5 can be taken as 100, but I do not think that argument should hold water here: the average punter probably expects 100% to mean 100%.


Can you give an actual example of such a claim - it would help in considering the issue.

Take for example rapeseed oil. The seed merchant is allowed to sell it with something like 5% of other matter: the sample I looked at included bits of straw, poppy heads, wheat and even a few small snail shells.
I expect a careful sieving could remove most of that, but I cannot see any possible way to separate poppy seed from rapeseed without an exceptionally precise robot.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: !00%?

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 pm


In the context of the question, that comes down to saying that it must not be misleading.
There is also the Advertising Standards Authority.

I have never found them terribly helpful, and almost never game for a decent discussion...
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: !00%?

Postby Millbrook2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Millbrook2 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:We often see on the label of foodstuffs the claim that something is 100% pure. I doubt very much that this is 100% true in most, if indeed any cases: they may be 99.9% pure, or 99.999% and I was moved to wonder how close one needs to be before 100% is not misleading.
There is a sound argument that anything over 99.5 can be taken as 100, but I do not think that argument should hold water here: the average punter probably expects 100% to mean 100%.


Can you give an actual example of such a claim - it would help in considering the issue.

Take for example rapeseed oil. The seed merchant is allowed to sell it with something like 5% of other matter: the sample I looked at included bits of straw, poppy heads, wheat and even a few small snail shells.
I expect a careful sieving could remove most of that, but I cannot see any possible way to separate poppy seed from rapeseed without an exceptionally precise robot.


Would not the 5% other matter take care of the poppy seed issue.

Do you have an example of something with a label which says 100%?
Millbrook2
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am

Re: !00%?

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 am

Millbrook2 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Take for example rapeseed oil. The seed merchant is allowed to sell it with something like 5% of other matter: the sample I looked at included bits of straw, poppy heads, wheat and even a few small snail shells.
I expect a careful sieving could remove most of that, but I cannot see any possible way to separate poppy seed from rapeseed without an exceptionally precise robot.


Would not the 5% other matter take care of the poppy seed issue?

Not if the label says "100% pure".
you have an example of something with a label which says 100%?

If I provided one, it would breach forum rules, but such things are not uncommon on the shelves of a typical supermarket.
But I can't really see how a specified example would help here.

For clarity, the question is curiosity about a principle, it is not a problem that we are trying to solve.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: !00%?

Postby atticus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

There would be no breach of forum rules if you edit judiciously when quoting.

Glad to have been able to help.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19846
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: 100%?

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Millbrook2 wrote:Can you give an actual example of such a claim - it would help in considering the issue.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100ml-Organic-O ... B004RPM7PU
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Next

Return to Contract and Consumer Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest