Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Parking Company court threats

Postby shocksl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 am

Hey guys
I dont know where to write this......
NO NAMES has been sending me letters because I didnt pay for a ticket.

I have parked there a few times and have always paid. However on one occasion, when I went my friend clearly gets out of the car tries to pay and couldnt pay as the machine wasnt working and so was another customer waiting there next to the machine as it couldnt accept our money.

Anyway, she went out the car park . I stayed in the car for 20 mins.

I have been told to ignore their letters.

However they seem to be taking to me to court. I have attached the latest letter they wrote to me. I went on their website and wrote to them ' I dont understand why you are charging that amount. could you please tell me the reason behind it?'

Could you please advice me as to what I can do?
Last edited by dls on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: breaches of no names rule
shocksl

Postby shocksl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:51 am

sorry about using names above. Its about a parking fine from a private company.

Ive uploaded the letter and Ive rubbed out the names

ALSO can a MOD please change title of this thread to ' parking company court threats'
Attachments
20150312_235328.jpg
20150312_235328.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 442 times
shocksl

Re: Parking Company court threats

Postby dls » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:23 am

First, the descrription you give takes it well outside the standard parking charge situation.

Much of the advice given abut in the web relates to situations where parking is free and people overstay.

Here you know of and accept the obligation to pay, but park without paying.

Look carefully at the wording of the notices. Test it out in your own mind - is parking dependent strictly upon have first paid up. If so, was not the proper alternative not to park.

You might ask them for copies of the records of tickets issued by the machine(s?) on the day. If what you say is correct then there should be a break in takings.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shocksl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.

Well what I come to realise as I have used that car park since then and have bought tickets. Is that it doesn't accept new coins. As was trying to put in new ten pence coins. It still doesn't accept them.
shocksl

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Notify the operator.
atticus

Postby against-big-guns » Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 am

I too am having problems with this unidentifed company -I recognise the signature. In my case someone might get arrested. The company has been operating for years by photographing vehicles on a public highway adjacent to a supermarket car park and using the photos as proof that the vehicle entered the car park. Mine has pictures of car approachinng and receding from the cameras on the highway but nothing within the premises. Lopoks like massive fraud to me.

check the company out fully
against-big-guns

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun May 17, 2015 12:32 pm

shocksl wrote:my friend clearly gets out of the car tries to pay and couldnt pay as the machine wasnt working and so was another customer waiting there next to the machine as it couldnt accept our money.... However they seem to be taking to me to court.

Write to them, asking if they are aware that the single payment machine on site was faulty (if there were other machines, give up now and pay the charge). If they agree the machine was faulty, tell them you will appeal through POPLA if they try to penalise you for not paying.

If they deny the machine was faulty, ask them if they issued an unusual number of penalties at that site on that day. Tell them you will appeal through POPLA and ask that this data is disclosed to the adjudicator.

POPLA adjudicators tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the complainant, so if there's anything dodgy about the penalty they won't want it to be independently reviewed.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby blig » Sun May 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:(if there were other machines, give up now and pay the charge)

A different take on that: if schocksl remained in his car at all times, this may describe loading or waiting and not parking. Was any charge specified on the sign for loading or waiting?
blig

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun May 17, 2015 7:22 pm

blig wrote:A different take on that: if schocksl remained in his car at all times, this may describe loading or waiting and not parking. Was any charge specified on the sign for loading or waiting?

Good luck with that one :lol: . I think that the landowner can claim a charge for stationary vehicles, whether attended or not. I think that even if you drove slowly round the carpark for 3 hours they could still charge (unless you were unsuccessfully seeking a place to park).
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby diy » Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 am

Just to add that this is a letter before action. They are not taking you to court, until you actually get a notice from the court. Every letter before that, can be seen as an attempt to get you to pay.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Next

Return to Contract and Consumer Law