Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Conspiring to mislead the House.

Conspiring to mislead the House.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:56 pm

An MP and a minister are alleged to have colluded over a question in the House regarding the proper conduct of the Civil Service.
The MP asked the minister to confirm that he had heard a rumour that the Civil Service was deliberately fudging its reports, with intent to lend the rumour a credibility that it is unworthy of.
The minister confirmed he had heard the rumour as stated, but subsequently it transpired that there was an audio recording of the relevant conversation and the minister had to "Set the record straight".

Does it matter? Can anything be done? Where is the line over which such contemptible conduct is actually contempt of parliament?
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Conspiring to mislead the House.

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:22 pm

The greater concern is that it is the lie that sticks, notwithstanding the correction. This is becoming a regular tactic, as developed by Banks, Farage, Johnson, Trump et al, and now used by tory ideological wreckers.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I have seen it referred to as a Nazi propaganda trick, but I am not convinced: I think they just ran with the lie and did not bother with the correction.

I should probably say though, that I think there is truth in the rumour: the Civil Service are deliberately stuffing their assessments full of facts and accurate projections, with intent to influence policy, but is that not what they are supposed to do?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 pm

And then the idiots who disrupted the double-barrelled ideologue's appearance yesterday have taken the focus from his lies to their idiocy.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Have you considered the possibility that that was intentional? The consequences are entirely predictable and rabble are easily found and persuaded to purpose...
And have you seen any footage that was not entirely ambiguous?
The video I have seen posted over and over is of a fight that has already started; although the first actual physical contact seems fairly clearly from the Mogg's side.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Do you have any evidence to justify proclaiming a conspiracy?

And if you are right, it will be another lie that becomes accepted as truth.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't think I proclaimed anything, other than that the video I have seen is ambiguous.
All I have done is suggested that if one were to seek to divert attention, then it is easy enough to arrange a ruckus that would do that.
I might go so far as to suggest that if I were a nasty devious bastard* then I might well do that, but fortunately I am not: I fear that if I were, I would be unpleasantly good at it.

{* as in John Major's definition}
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

I have happened upon a much less ambiguous video. There is no question that the trouble was started by a small group of shouty idiots and exacerbated by incompetent security.
I don't think it helped that Mr Mogg decided to wade in: he would have been far better off getting them to come down to him. I expect he was buoyed up by exaggerated reports of his success over a similar incident at the Tory Party Conference.

https://www.facebook.com/raheemkassam/v ... tion=group
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 am

Since he has also Tweeted his allegations of the misconduct of the Treasury, might that be a malicious communication?
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

It might, if the elements of the offence (set out in that Act) can be proven.
atticus

Next

Return to Constitutional Law