Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Harassing MP's

Re: Harassing MP's

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 pm

atticus wrote:Exactly how distressed is this snowflake MP?

You have the same information as I do, but for the purpose of legal discussion we can assume that he is very distressed.

The question in OP is of whether in these circumstances, there is any limit to the exemption in s3(c): does the law allow us to mercilessly harass our MP's in this way? I think that it ought to, but I have been known to be wrong.

Protection From Harassment Act 1997 wrote:(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—
(a)that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,
(b)that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or
(c)that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

and looking again, I am moved to wonder if 3(b) could be applied: do MP's duties fall under any rule of law?

Changing tack entirely, the course of conduct pursued by certain newspapers against various MP's at this time seems to me to be unquestioningly harassment, and probably ought to be caught by some far more serious offence.
Why are we not seeing even any suggestion of action by the police on this?
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Because, as you nearly suggest there might possibly just ought to be an offence but . . there isn't.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm

dls wrote:Because, as you nearly suggest there might possibly just ought to be an offence but . . there isn't.

Why is it not harassment?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Because writing letters to a MP discussing the major issue of the day is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm

atticus wrote:Because writing letters to a MP discussing the major issue of the day is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Did you miss the change of tack? I was talking about the various newspapers. I'd thought dls was also.
Hairyloon

Previous

Return to Constitutional Law