Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Referenda

Re: Referenda

Postby shootist » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:18 pm

atticus wrote:Do you suggest that the referendum kept everybody happy?

Do you think that there is a way that everybody, in a varied and diverse population of more than 60 million, can be kept happy on every question of any significance?

The answers are of course "no". That is why we have a representative democracy, and Sir David's point (also made by numerous others) is a good one.

Where did I suggest it would? There is no solution that would keep everybody happy in such a decision, so why not simply open it up to what the majority of the public want? I think Sir David's point is, in this issue, nonsense. So we disagree. Do we need a referendum on it?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:21 pm

You talked of keeping everyone happy in the first sentence of your first post above.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:23 pm

shootist wrote:

Do you think that there is a way that everybody, in a varied and diverse population of more than 60 million, can be kept happy on every question of any significance?

The answers are of course "no". That is why we have a representative democracy, and Sir David's point (also made by numerous others) is a good one.

Where did I suggest it would? There is no solution that would keep everybody happy in such a decision...

Many people would be a deal happier if the referendum campaign had not been such utter hogwash. Also if the vote against the establishment had been separated.

Or if not happier, then they would at least have less cause to gripe and be able to get over it sooner.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm

shootist wrote:
.... so why not simply open it up to what the majority of the public want? .....

Precisely, instead of letting minority interests play a disproportionately significant part in the issue. We in the western world have allowed ourselves to become too subservient to minority interests, seeking not to upset anyone - in the interests of so-called Political Correctness. The logical conclusion from that is that no-one is happy.

You can keep some of the people happy some of the time, but it's a pipe dream to imagine that one can keep all of the people happy all of the time.
miner

Postby miner » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:

Where did I suggest it would? There is no solution that would keep everybody happy in such a decision...

Many people would be a deal happier if the referendum campaign had not been such utter hogwash. Also if the vote against the establishment had been separated.

Or if not happier, then they would at least have less cause to gripe and be able to get over it sooner.

Well, at least the hogwash was evenly distributed between both sides! :)

It's time for the mindless griping to stop once & for all.

Also if the vote against the establishment had been separated.

You've lost me on that one, I'm afraid! Separated from whom/what? This is not some Utopian society in which we live.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:30 pm

miner wrote:It's time for the mindless griping to stop once & for all.

Is that a request for us to delete your account?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:30 pm

The majority of the public? Well, quite clearly they did not vote to leave!
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:36 pm

miner wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Also if the vote against the establishment had been separated.

You've lost me on that one, I'm afraid! Separated from whom/what? This is not some Utopian society in which we live.

There were a significant number of people who, on the basis that this was an advisory referendum and had been assured that we wouldn't be leaving the EU, treated the referendum as a protest vote.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Idiots
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:42 pm

atticus wrote:Idiots

Should we introduce intelligence tests into the electoral register now?
The real idiots are the ones sat in The House.
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Constitutional Law