Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Scotland - EU

Scotland - EU

Postby dls » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 am

It seems to me that Scotland cannot apply to join the EU until it is an independent state.

As an independent state, what reason is there for it to jump the queue - ahead for example of Turkey?

Would those countries with there own cessasionist elements - Spain is an obvious example - risk allowing Scotland in and thise encouraging their own?

I just see no basis for the asserted optimism. Have I missed something?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Scotland - EU

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:23 am

Surely, if that is their wish, then the sensible answer is for Ireland and Scotland to remain as the UK and for England and Wales to leave.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Scotland is not an independent nation. I think they will have to do better (much better).
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:42 pm

dls wrote:It seems to me that Scotland cannot apply to join the EU until it is an independent state.

As an independent state, what reason is there for it to jump the queue - ahead for example of Turkey?

Would those countries with there own cessasionist elements - Spain is an obvious example - risk allowing Scotland in and thise encouraging their own?

I just see no basis for the asserted optimism. Have I missed something?

Para 1: Yes, that's exactly what I have concluded since Nicky the Fish started spouting her nonsense in the wake of the UK's decision to leave.

Para 2: None

Para 3: Not in my view.

Para 4: Nor do I. No, you haven't missed anything. I think you are spot-on, dls.
miner

Postby miner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Surely, if that is their wish, then the sensible answer is for Ireland and Scotland to remain as the UK and for England and Wales to leave.

Hairy - There are times when you spout complete and utter nonsense, and this is one of them. See dls' comment above.
miner

Postby steve » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 am

Could Scotland jump the queue ahead of Turkey because it is already more or less compliant with the many of the 35 Chapters that are conditions for membership? Turkey has apparently met only one.

Perhaps Scotland could cut a deal with Spain with regards to support for joint sovereignty over Gibraltar?

Or it negotiates a Norway-type agreement?
steve

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 am

miner wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Surely, if that is their wish, then the sensible answer is for Ireland and Scotland to remain as the UK and for England and Wales to leave.

Hairy - There are times when you spout complete and utter nonsense, and this is one of them. See dls' comment above.

And there are times when you produce reasoned and rational debate... occasionally... perhaps. Or is that just wishful thinking?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Enough of the fight-picking please, gentlemen.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 am

Agreed
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 am

I see that Nicky the Fish (Nicola Sturgeon) has been sent back to Edinburgh with a fly in her ear. Frankly, I cannot see how she was so incredibly silly to seriously believe that anyone in Brussels was ever going to negotiate with her, as she has no mandate to be speaking for the UK government. following the Referendum. She's even more arrogant and stupid than I thought she was. She's out of her intellectual depth in all this.
miner

Return to Constitutional Law