Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Brexit and 'what if'.

Re: Brexit and 'what if'.

Postby miner » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm

diy wrote:I see EU leader comments are the political equivalent of a Berlin Wall. "just because they are leaving doesn't mean you are all allowed to "

Well said, diy! Juncker has been behaving like a spoilt brat, tossing his toys out of his EU pram. There are already calls for his resignation/dismissal. I reckon that a lot of the "don't knows"in the immediate run-up to the vote were swayed into voting for Brexit by his attitude and stupid statements. Typical Luxembourger. They're almost universally disliked in Europe.

The UK's vote on the EU has opened the floodgates for a number of other major exits from the failed EU.
miner

Postby miner » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Scotland and Northern Ireland have both voted to stay, so how is that going to work? The question was raised early on in the campaign, but AFAIK it was never properly answered.

Scotland and N Ireland are parts of the UK. They'll have to suck it up and make it work or they can seek independence.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Presumably you will now be ending your self-imposed exile, miner. Welcome back.
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

It was a referendum of the United Kingdom. That is how it works, unless any constituent part of the UK ceases to be such.

Accurate and correct but the Scots will do what they want to do.

It may very well be that the EU ends up as Scotland, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece.

When the Scots voted to be part of the UK they voted to go along with whatever the UK as a whole voted to do. It is not as if an EU referendum was not even then well on the cards,

I do not think referenda achieve anything positive.

It may have been very much better to say that as a national vote, it should have been counted nationally (perhaps in Newcastle or similar) with no breakdown. The breakdown nothing nothing positive and merely creates a fertile field for sh*t stirrers.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:44 pm

The Prime Minister promised an EU referendum in his Bloomberg speech on 23rd January 2013, the year before the Scottish Independence Referendum. During the campaign for that referendum, Scots were clearly and specifically told that voting for independence was a vote to leave the EU; and that those who wished to remain in the EU should vote to remain in the UK. The link was made at that time, and there's been such a major change that it's difficult to deny that a second independence referendum is inevitable.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby diy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:39 pm

A look at the data suggests that Scotland hasn't made a clear commitment that its future is in the EU. Turn out wasn't very high by comparison and as others have said. The question was should the UK stay or leave.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Is that what you really think?
atticus

Postby diy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm

atticus wrote:Your view was that in a vote between black and white you voted black thinking it meant pale grey. Well you got black.

No, I think this will pan out to be grey.. I'll bet one of my worth-a-lot-less £1s in a charity box that this isn't going to be a black and white outcome.

My regret, is the loss of David Cameron as PM. I thought he was alright in the main. I get where he's coming from.

The markets are showing an equal spread of pain. FTSE100 and 250 is fairing ok considering

atticus wrote:Is that what you really think?

yep
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_r ... um/results
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Turnout in Scotland was about 5% lower than the UK average, but those who chose to vote in Scotland did so firmly to remain and by any objective measure it was a clear vote: a relatively small differential may be better explained by Scotland having had a series of major elections over the past few years than any lack of commitment. In any case, what is important the First Minister is able to define the narrative in these terms.

The pound is down 8.37% against the dollar, the FTSE 100 down by 3.15% and the FTSE250 down by 7.19%. I suppose it depends upon your definition of OK, but I suspect my pension fund trustees are a little less sanguine.

The pathway to our remaining in the EU doesn't seem at all simple: I fear that our partners have finally lost patience with us.

Finally, I don't regret the loss of Cameron at all, though I regret the circumstances bitterly. Cameron joins that band of Prime Ministers - Chamberlain, Eden, Blair - forever defined by one catastrophic error of judgment.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Cameron joins that band of Prime Ministers - Chamberlain, Eden, Blair - forever defined by one catastrophic error of judgment.

It may take people's minds of the thing with the pig.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to Constitutional Law