Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Royal role in the passing of Bills.

The Royal role in the passing of Bills.

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm

The extent of the Queen and Prince Charles's secretive power of veto over new laws has been exposed after Downing Street lost its battle to keep information about its application secret.

Whitehall papers prepared by Cabinet Office lawyers show that overall at least 39 bills have been subject to the most senior royals' little-known power to consent to or block new laws. They also reveal the power has been used to torpedo proposed legislation relating to decisions about the country going to war.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/ ... veto-bills

Some people are getting rather excited about this because of the undemocratic unaccountability of it, but I would like to know what it is that the royals actually did before I make judgment.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: The Royal role in the passing of Bills.

Postby dls » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:45 pm

I suspect that it is a piece of journalism which you would expect rather from the Daily Mail.

The constitutional position is that each Act passes by act of the monarch - 'la reine le veult'. She assents to the Bill becoming an Act.

If she was presented with an Act of parliament and refused to assent that would indeed be a constitutional difficulty. That would indeed be a veto.

Anything less is not a veto.

What it appears to be describing appears to be an influence - proper or not - at an earlier stage. Not a veto, just having an ear. It is hardly a secret that the monarch has very regular discussions with senior politicians - particularly the prime minister - on government business.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Constitutional Law