Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Setting the mandate to NHS England for 2016 to 2017

Setting the mandate to NHS England for 2016 to 2017

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:38 am

I have just heard about the NHS consultation, which closes on 23 November 2015:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... 16-to-2017

It seems to me that we need to get lots of people talking about it so that we can deliver a summary of those discussions to the consultation.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Setting the mandate to NHS England for 2016 to 2017

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:47 am

Isn't the point of the consultation that people may make their own submissions, which will then be looked at as part of the consultation process?

But thanks for volunteering. Do please remember that you only have a week to submit the precis.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:14 am

atticus wrote:Isn't the point of the consultation that people may make their own submissions, which will then be looked at as part of the consultation process?

Of course they may, but which is the more valuable information: the individual opinions of 100 individuals, or the collated opinion of 100 people talking it through together?
I am sure you have seen the average quality of opinion from opinionated people: you are asking the consultation staff to plough through all of those rather than condensing it down to a sensible task.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am

It occurs to me that the office carrying out the consultation may attach more weight to 100 separate responses than to one document purporting to collate those responses. I may of course be wrong.

But please do not misunderstand that I commend you for taking on this task. Well done.
atticus

Postby dls » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:14 pm

The areas I know about are fairly circumscribed. I do not know enough ti feel I can suggest policy.

My feeling is that the threat we suffer now is largely derived from the public private finance system.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 pm

atticus wrote:It occurs to me that the office carrying out the consultation may attach more weight to 100 separate responses than to one document purporting to collate those responses. I may of course be wrong.

I suspect that you are right, but you ought not to be. The purpose of these consultations is not to find out what the public think, it is to enable them to say that they have consulted and the public are in favour. Any response that diverges from the set questions would require some actual effort on the part of the office so they are fairly likely to not bother.

But if the purpose was to actually find out what the public want, then that approach is not sensible.
What we are talking about, or rather, what we should be talking about is a flow of information. Most of the information will be dross, so the mandate office will have to dredge through it to find the useful bits.
I am trying to suggest that we (that is the public) refine the information before we give it to them.
Explain things in terms we understand.
Talk through why the obvious answers wouldn't work.
Pull out the significant issues and take a vote to show strength of feeling.
But please do not misunderstand that I commend you for taking on this task. Well done.

Can someone check the board settings? Even with your assurance, it is coming through in the ferric sans font (otherwise known as sarcasm).
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:17 pm

dls wrote:The areas I know about are fairly circumscribed. I do not know enough ti feel I can suggest policy.

You and me both, but we are smart enough to recognise that, but there are a great many out there who won't and will flood the office with useless KJ suggestions.
And if someone who did know enough (or perhaps just a bit more than we do) were to explain what they know, then we could probably come up with some helpful ideas.
Or perhaps we might just ask some helpful questions: very often problems are not solved because people are not asking the right questions.

My feeling is that the threat we suffer now is largely derived from the public private finance system.

I cannot argue, but what can we do about that?
Hairyloon

Return to Constitutional Law