Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Filibustering.

Re: Filibustering.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:21 am

Which question is the one you claim was answered?
Have we enacted a "one question per thread" rule? I missed that memo: how does it work?
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Filibustering.

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 am

The one you asked. The sentence ended with the following symbol: ?

This may give a further clue. The question was helpfully included in the post giving the answer.
Slartibartfast wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Who chooses the winners in "X-Factor"? A telephone vote is a flawed democratic process, but it is a democratic process nonetheless.


Not democratic at all. Every vote costs a fee, and repeat voting is encouraged. Imagine if our government was thus elected.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19432
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Filibustering.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 am

atticus wrote:The one you asked. The sentence ended with the following symbol: ?

Ah, you mean "who?"?
But that has not been answered. To refuse to answer a question because you reject a premise of the question is not answering the question, particularly where the premise upon which the premise was rejected was flawed.

But that was not why I came back here.
MPs have blocked a bill to bring first aid training to schools by talking non-stop until time to discuss and vote on it ran out.

The Compulsory Emergency First Aid Education (State-Funded Secondary Schools) Bill would have required schools to teach first aid training to children as part of the national curriculum.

The group of MPs used up the bill’s time by talking for hours, with one speech by an education minister described by the deputy speaker as like reading a “telephone book” out loud.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 42251.html
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Filibustering.

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Filibustering.

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Tory MP’s ​complaint about Russell Howard jibes rejected by BBC Trust

Philip Davies claimed comedian defamed him by describing him as a ‘windbag’ and ‘hypocrite’ in Commons debates

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... lip-davies
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Filibustering.

Postby dls » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Properly rejected.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
User avatar
dls
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12085
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm
Location: Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Re: Filibustering.

Postby shootist » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:What do you think are the best ways to combat it?

Why would you want to do that? Filibustering is a parliamentary tactic, it can serve good purposes as well as bad -

Senator's 11-hour speech successfully stalls bill that would close almost all abortion clinics in America's second-largest state
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/j ... ill-speech


And this would have been a bad thing? If the legislators can't even discuss it then we may never know.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3462
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Filibustering.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:34 pm

Thank you for your swift response to Slarti's post.
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

Previous

Return to Constitutional Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest