Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Her Majesty the Queen...

Re: Her Majesty the Queen...

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Perhaps you have not understood the question. What mechanism exists to ensure that the monarch obeys the constitution?

I think it is probably treason to suggest that she might not, so good luck with that.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:34 pm

No, it is not.

What is the answer to my question?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Smouldering Stoat wrote:Of course there was a national crisis. World War II had broken out and one of our allies had been invaded.

Yes of course there was, but we are not talking about what did happen, we are talking about what might have happened had history been substantially different: enough so that His Majesty had fair reason to believe the electorate were against a war with Germany.

You are off on another flight of fancy. The last English monarch who tried to overrule Parliament was tried and beheaded. When Edward's Nazi sympathies became an embarrassment he was packed off into exile in Bermuda. Books by Dicey carry no weight in realpolitik.

Incidentally, I can think of no plausible basis for a toff in a palace to imagine that he knows the mood of the nation better than their elected representatives do. The only exception being Rupert Murdoch, of course... :lol:
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:14 pm

3.14 wrote:
atticus wrote:I think Charles will have more sense than slarti gives credit for.
Well, he believes in homeopathy.

In 2006, the former deputy private secretary and press adviser to the Prince of Wales, Mark Bolland, said that the Prince had referred to himself as a "dissident" who worked against the prevailing political consensus. Concerning Charles's views, Bolland said that he "...routinely meddled in political issues and wrote sometimes in extreme terms to ministers, MP's and others in positions of political power and influence...The prince used all the means of communication at his disposal, including meetings with ministers and others, speeches and correspondence with leaders in all walks of life and politicians. He was never party-political, but to argue that he was not political was difficult...These letters were not merely routine and non-controversial...but written at times in extreme terms...containing his views on political matters and individual politicians at home and abroad and on international issues...I remember on many occasions seeing in these day files letters which, for example, denounced the elected leaders of other countries in extreme terms, and other such highly politically sensitive correspondence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_spi ... .22_prince

(Attorney General) Grieve detailed the letters as containing "...remarks about public affairs which would in my view, if revealed, have had a material effect upon the willingness of the government to engage in correspondence with the Prince of Wales, and would potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_spi ... l.27s_veto
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Hairyloon » Sat May 21, 2016 8:23 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Incidentally, I can think of no plausible basis for a toff in a palace to imagine that he knows the mood of the nation better than their elected representatives do.

Perhaps she arranged a ballot. You clearly don't think very hard at times.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat May 21, 2016 11:47 am

Snappy come back there, Hairy.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat May 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Snappy come back there, Hairy.

I chose at the time to let it lie, but the board has become particularly quiet and dull of late, so I thought I'd stir it up a bit.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Sat May 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Stirring, indeed.
atticus

Previous

Return to Constitutional Law