Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Referendum

Re: Referendum

Postby dls » Mon May 25, 2015 10:27 am

I got it wrong about the election.

We know that many resident EU nationals will be excluded from the vote. Is that right?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon May 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Possibly not, given that they are likely to be affected more than most, but on the other hand it is proposed to use the General Election franchise. I am glad that the Prime Minister had been following our deliberations so closely and decided to follow our advice not to depart from it.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Mon May 25, 2015 7:29 pm

It seems that the decision is that more or less that those who could vote in the General election can vote and no others. This is right.
I do not accept the argument that 16 years olds should vote. Nor do I accept that EU nationals resident here but not otherwise qualifying should be able to vote.

I do not know the conditions, but assume that central to the test is whether someone has made a commitment to living here. If it is and they haven't then they shouldn't be voting.
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon May 25, 2015 7:45 pm

An EU citizen would not be entitled to vote unless they become naturalised as a British Citizen. I cannot imagine that many do, the requirements being somewhat onerous and not generally conferring much additional benefit to an EU citizen.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:12 pm

I wonder what will happen to all the Brits living in Spain if we leave Europe. Will they have to come back?

I think the vote should be based on who is eligible to vote in a general election.

It's quite interesting that Cameron has got himself into a strong bargaining position with Europe.
tph

Postby dls » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:34 am

I saw one ridiculous Labour politician saying that 16 year olds should be allowed to vote because they will have to live with the result longer. This is so stupid as to be little short of evil.

By exactly the same token, my two year old grand daughter has an even stronger reason to be allowed to vote, and I, as a sixty three year old, should have less right to vote. This piece of intellectual dishonesty was used by the SNP to argue for a similar arrangement for the Scots referendum, but we all know that the sole reason for such a proposal was that such an electorate would do much to ease their (SNP's) task.
dls
Site Admin

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 am

tph wrote:It's quite interesting that Cameron has got himself into a strong bargaining position with Europe.

There are two possibilities:

1. Cameron has got himself into a strong bargaining position with Europe.

2. Cameron is being represented as having got himself into a strong bargaining position with Europe.

Are you sure it is not 2?
theycantdothat

Postby dls » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:38 am

There is a clear possibility that the commitment given to Greece will suggest to many within Europe that the time and need has come for ever closer union. It may be that they will invite Cameron to say 'Put up or shut up'.
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

I can't see that the majority of British voters would think along those lines, dls.
miner

Postby dls » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

I agree. The point I was rrying and failing to make is that if the EU is tipped ever further in favour of union, then the position for Cameron is substantially weakened.
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Constitutional Law