Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The European Research Group.

The European Research Group.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

I've been aware of this group for a while, but I hadn't really twigged to their significance. Nish Kumar puts it quite succinctly in the Mash Report (ERG bit starting at 14.10).
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: The European Research Group.

Postby dls » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Self satisfied snidy sarcasm is not a good guide to anything.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

dls wrote:Self satisfied snidy sarcasm is not a good guide to anything.

It can be, if you look through it to the relevant points. Or do you dispute those? I confess I did not check the references.
But how can anything be a good guide to a thing that is so secretive? And how can it be as secretive as it manages when it is funded by our taxes?
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm

But when it's all your politics has, it'll have to do.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Hairyloon wrote:But how can anything be a good guide to a thing that is so secretive? And how can it be as secretive as it manages when it is funded by our taxes?

Is this about the Freemasons again? They seem to be trying a bit of a PR job just lately.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm

shootist wrote:

But when it's all your politics has, it'll have to do.

It's all I've got in general, never mind politics.
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:But how can anything be a good guide to a thing that is so secretive? And how can it be as secretive as it manages when it is funded by our taxes?

Is this about the Freemasons again? They seem to be trying a bit of a PR job just lately.

I had a long chat once with a mason and a bottle of whisky. I never did work out if he was trying to recruit me, but I don't think people of my religion are allowed in... :?

But back on topic, no I'm not aware of any connection between the masons and the ERG, though I expect some of the members are members.
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm

On a Tuesday morning in early February, the Conservative party was again at war with itself when Iain Duncan Smith typed out a WhatsApp message to his colleagues, urging them to hold their fire.

For two weeks, diehards in the pro- and anti-Europe factions of the UK’s governing party had been engaged in open hostilities as the Brexit negotiations approached a crunch point. Anna Soubry, the most ardent of the Tory Remainers, escalated the conflict when she claimed that 35 right-wing ideologues hell-bent on a hard Brexit were holding the party to ransom, and urged Theresa May to throw them out. Now journalists were calling asking Eurosceptics to respond...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/thi ... xqdEEpbJ5j
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

John Whittingdale was listening to Radio 4 on the last day of 2017 when he heard something that made him furious.

It was a Sunday morning and the Conservative MP had his radio tuned to Broadcasting House, a weekly current affairs show. Near the end of the programme, one of the guests criticised the Labour peer and Brexit critic Andrew Adonis for not being elected to office. The BBC presenter interrupted to point out, incorrectly, that Lord Adonis had once been an MP.

Whittingdale was so offended by the inaccuracy that he fired off a complaint to a senior BBC executive he knew. Then he typed out a WhatsApp message to dozens of Tory colleagues.
“Disgraceful inaccuracy on Broadcasting House,” Whittingdale wrote in a WhatsApp forum maintained by the European Research Group (ERG), an influential alliance of hardline Conservative Eurosceptics who are campaigning for a clean break from the European Union.

“If you listen to it then complain but I have already put in [a] complaint,” Whittingdale told the MPs in the group, according to conversations shared with BuzzFeed News.
Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader and work and pensions secretary, who is also a senior member of the ERG, had also heard the show and was incensed by the error.

“Everyone on this App should lodge a complaint with the BBC,” Duncan Smith wrote. “The editors of the programme will have known what was said was incorrect and they should have corrected it. If we all point this out it makes them more careful in the future.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/the ... obl5W7VmE4
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Constitutional Law