Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Free Elections.

Re: Free Elections.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon May 11, 2015 9:18 pm

I am not seeing any cases in there that bear any similarity to the one we are discussing.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Do you have some disability which prevents you from using google, HL?
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Hairyloon » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Do you have some disability which prevents you from using google, HL?

It seems to me to be a futile search for Google et al: they would return thousands of results with little or no relevance.
Please do prove me wrong.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 am

hairy, you generally do an exceptional job of proving yourself wrong.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 am

I usually beat myself at chess as well...
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Tue May 12, 2015 7:00 am

I never knew that you played with yourself.
atticus

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:08 am

I have received this e-mail about the government's reply to the "Unlock Democracy" petition.

Three weeks ago we took the Make Seats Match Votes petition to Downing Street, with almost half a million signatures and five party leaders calling for a fairer voting system. Today John Penrose, the new minister for constitutional reform, replied:

“Thank you for your letter and accompanying petition...I appreciate your point, but the difficulty would be that we had a referendum on changing the electoral system to Proportional Representation in 2011...it would be pretty difficult to argue that we should go ahead anyway!”

Don’t like this response? Join Unlock Democracy today

We remember the referendum on the Alternative Vote all too well. What Mr Penrose has forgotten is that AV is not a proportional system. The British people have never been given the opportunity to choose a voting system that ensures that seats match votes, because John Penrose’s party made sure that it wasn’t on the ballot in 2011.

The government’s response is disappointing but predictable. But is that the end of it? No! Responses like this illustrate why we need to keep demanding reform. More and more people are joining Unlock Democracy because they are fed up with our unfair voting system, where two parties can get five million votes between them, but end up with just two MPs.

We believe in supporting activists to drive change. That’s why we are helping Unlock Democracy members to take the fight for fairer votes to Parliament and organise the Great Gathering for Voting Reform on Saturday 25th July.

Join the fight for fairer votes - join Unlock Democracy today
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:55 am

atticus wrote:
Three weeks ago we took the Make Seats Match Votes petition to Downing Street, with almost half a million signatures and five party leaders calling for a fairer voting system. Today John Penrose, the new minister for constitutional reform, replied:

“Thank you for your letter and accompanying petition...I appreciate your point, but the difficulty would be that we had a referendum on changing the electoral system to Proportional Representation in 2011...it would be pretty difficult to argue that we should go ahead anyway!”

So we have a minister for constitutional reform who can't tell the difference between AV and PR?
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:27 pm

No, we have a Minister who hopes that nobody else can tell the difference.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 am

The Scot Nats may yet save us all. The obvious unfairness in their favour speaks volumes. Still, they could only stand under the system in place.
It was so disproportionate that many who supported FPTP may change their minds.

Clegg was often blamed for his silly promise on student fees. That mistake was one of innocence, both n the LD part and on the part of the electorate which mistook it for an ordinary promise.

A much bigger mistake was not squealing very much louder at the referendum on the electoral system.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Human Rights Law