Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Lawyer's duty to inform client of obligations

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

Re: Lawyer's duty to inform client of obligations

Postby theycantdothat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:30 pm

OK. I give up.

I shall not bother asking any more questions.
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:25 pm

That's a bit pathetic. You were asking whether a situation gives rise to a claim against s lawyer, and I was pointing out all the things the lawyer's insurers and their lawyers would be investigating and arguing.

You were once a lawyer.
atticus

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:21 pm

i have no problem with clients suing a solicitor who has messed up.

But there are an awful lot of speculative claims against solicitors, the thought process apparently being that it doesn't really hurt the solicitor, he's got insurance.

Well professional indemnity insurance premiums can be a very large part of a solicitors overheads. In my firm's case, the second largest item after salaries. We had a client make a claim - he said exactly what I have just said "it won't affect you, you're insured". (No, the claim was not about me or my work). The claim was weak. Our insurers thought it was weak. They fought it all the way. It was dropped just before trial. We got costs - the client forgot we were storing his deeds.

But none of that stopped insurers from bumping up our premiums for 3 years by 20% just because there was a £100K claim in progress, even though we have been with them years, have a perfect claim record, and they agreed the claim was weak and decided it would be fought all the way.

I am entitled to be really angry about bad claims made against solicitors just because they are insured.

OK, so your hearts bleed ... but there's a fact of life or two for you.
atticus

Postby miner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Pratticus -

You seem to have a major problem with your anger. Best get it under control pdq. You're acting like a spoilt child. Grow up.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Pot, meet kettle.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Some people chide so gently and with such grace and charm that it is almost a pleasure, especially when combined with constructive contribution to the subject under discussion.
atticus

Previous

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students