Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Other sources of Judgements

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

Other sources of Judgements

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:57 am

I've been searching for case law in relation to bloomfield v williams 1970 but I can find nothing in the Bailii database. The only place I can find is the National Archive who charge for printing a copy.

Is there any other good source for case someone could recommend please.
Spankymonkey

Re: Other sources of Judgements

Postby dls » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:29 am

There was a Bloomfield v Williams in 1999 in the Court of appeal, but it has been withdrawn by Bailii

It was a landlord and tenant case on the 1967 Act.

It has disappeared without trace being also not reported elsewhere nor cited. I can find no trace of any case from 1970.

If you need the 1999 case, please just say, and I will see what can be done.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Thank you David, that's kind of you. It's definitely Bloomfield v Williams 1970.

It's in reference to knowingly making a false statement in an application. It was mentioned in Wilkinson's Road Traffic Offences but I could not find anything online except for a mention in this book at page 29:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RgT ... 70&f=false
Spankymonkey

Postby blig » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Try http://archive.commercialmotor.com/arti ... icensing-4

Extract:
In Bloomfield sr, Williams (1970) R. T. R. 184 a defendant signed an application form for an excise licence without reading it and in consequence he failed to observe that his daughter, who had filled the form in, had made a false statement. It was held that the defendant was not guilty of making a declaration which to his knowledge was false. The fact that offences concerning fraudulent use of a licence must occur on public roads was confirmed in Cook v Lan yon (1972) 7 C. L. 461 where it was held that there was no fraudulent use of a licence where the defendant's car was seen on a piece of land not a public road exhibiting an excise licence for another vehicle.

A somewhat lesser offence is created by Regulation 7 of the Road Vehicle (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 1971, which makes it an offence to exhibit anything which is intended to be or could be mistaken for a licence. The same Regulation makes it an offence to alter, deface, mutilatte or add anything to an excise licence or to exhibit a licence which has been tampered with in this way.
blig

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students