Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Lease costs upfront

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

Lease costs upfront

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 pm

On another site someone hoping to grant a commercial lease has mentioned in passing that the prospective tenant has already paid his (the landlord's) solicitor his costs. Is that allowed?
theycantdothat

Re: Lease costs upfront

Postby diy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I believe you can reimburse costs, but it would be hard for a solicitor to act against pay master.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I am not aware that this is unlawful: what makes someone somewhere else think it might be?

We regularly see instances where we are asked to give undertakings to pay a landlord's costs whether the matter is completed or not. In such circumstances, we require our client (intending tenant) to deposit money with us to enable us to meet that undertaking.
atticus

Postby theycantdothat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 am

I was not suggesting it was unlawful, just wondering if it was contrary to recommended practice. If it is not, what control does the non-client have if, for example, the solicitor does not get on with the job?
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:49 am

The non-client has no direct recourse. If you are thinking of the landlord, he may pull out of the deal, change the terms etc if it is not moving quickly enough.
atticus

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students