Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

No payment for McKenzie Friends?

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

No payment for McKenzie Friends?

Postby dls » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:23 pm

David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: No payment for McKenzie Friends?

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 pm

I have mixed thoughts.

1. legal fees are expensive, and with various governments' assaults on legal aid there are people who cannot afford advice or representation.

2. This has created a class of "professional" McKenzie Friend. They are unregulated. Some are good. Some are charlatans. I have encountered struck-off solicitors practising as MFs. Clearly some of these give legal advice, draft documents etc - pretty much undertaking regulated activities but leaving the LIP to front the case. Some of the GOODF "gurus" certainly do this.

3. If you are going to be charging to prepare/assist/represent/whatever in Court you should have some training, regulation, insurance.
atticus

Postby dls » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm

I find it difficult to understand how you (in general - not you) can, sensibly, at the same time say both that legal services require professional standards for the protection of the public and yet also so design matters that you generate a system relying upon unqualified, unregulated and uninsured practitioners.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 pm

dls wrote:I find it difficult to understand how you (in general - not you) can, sensibly, at the same time say both that legal services require professional standards for the protection of the public and yet also so design matters that you generate a system relying upon unqualified, unregulated and uninsured practitioners.

It is easy enough, provided that you consider yourself in a class apart and don't give a damn about the others.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students