Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Unrepresented buyer

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

Re: Unrepresented buyer

Postby miner » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 pm

theycantdothat wrote:
miner wrote:And the SRA's "answer" is likely to be along the lines of "It is up to the solicitor's professional judgement". Let's see if I am right.

So what is the solution?

In the several years I've had the misfortune to have had to be dealing with that bunch of shysters, I regret that I haven't found one.

The SRA needs to be completely disbanded, not tweaked, and an entirely and truly independent Regulator established which has no connection whatsoever with the Law Society.

The SRA is not fit for purpose, and never has been. It's merely an arm - effectively a subsidiary of - the Law Society.

Self-Regulation does not work - anywhere - and it is a privilege with is routinely abused by regulatory bodies enjoying such a privilege. Having dealt with a number of self-regualtory bodies over the years, in my opinion the Solicitors Regulation Authority - the SRA - is by far the very worst example of them.
miner

Postby miner » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 pm

atticus wrote:make to the solicitor the points you have made above?

What is the point of making the points to a solicitor who appears to be so fundamentally dishonest and who is so incompetent that he is unaware of the rules under which he/she supposedly operates?
miner

Postby atticus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:01 pm

I offered a possible way forward. And you?
atticus

Postby dls » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:41 pm

There used to be a particular estate agent we had to deal with every so often. Whenever I found he was involved, I said to my client 'I know now that this will involve twice the work it should do. I am sorry but if you want me to act for you, the bill will be charged per hour. Expect it to be at least double.'

The solicitor has a duty to act in his client's best interests. Dealing with those acting for themselves in a conveyance can be a complete pain in the butt. My distant memories make me shudder.
The solicitor may be well aware that his client will not pay for the additional work likely to be involved. He may just be right that the client may choose instead to await a different buyer.

It is often the solicitors job to have a broad back which takes upon him the criticism which might instead properly be directed at what is after all the client's choice.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students