Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Solicitors' letters

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

Re: Solicitors' letters

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Mrhilter wrote:Davenport Lyons deservedly went into receivership.

Yes, and Andrew Crossley from ACS was bankrupted. I'm sure it doesn't happen as often as some people think it should, but a few cases of this kind stand as a warning to lawyers that if they go too far, there is eventually a cliff edge.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Horticgirl » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 am

I'm interested in this discussion because we have recently received a letter from our neighbours solicitors claiming that they can park on our drive for loading and unloading ( although there was definitely room to do so on the neighbouring land at the time their right of way was granted, and there still is a reasonable amount although building work and a gate have made it more difficult). When we asked the solicitor to provide authority for this they quoted words from a website ( presumably dug up by their client) and offered them as an explanation of the legal position. Their argument seems to be that, because there is less room available now than when the right was granted, that any vehicle which is too big to easily get onto the clients land may use our drive instead.
I can't believe that a solicitor would really believe this to be the law.
Do I tell them so?
Horticgirl

Postby atticus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:28 am

You are more likely to get a broader range of replies if you post it as a new question in the correct forum.
atticus

Postby Horticgirl » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Thank you. Will do.
Horticgirl

Postby atticus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Thread locked.

Horticgirl's discussion continues here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6317#p87024
atticus

Previous