Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

New offences

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

New offences

Postby dls » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:12 am

Solicitors and other professionals who collude with criminal gangs could face up to five years in prison under legislation to be proposed by the Home Office.

A serious crime bill, expected to be announced in tomorrow’s Queen’s Speech, will create an offence of ‘participation in an organised crime group’ to catch professionals who assist gangsters.

See
http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/crackdo ... 80.article

So goes the latest hype from HMG.
There are criminals operating as solicitors and as accountants . . and every variety of trade and profession suffers similarly.

It has to be acknowledged that working alongside criminals has very particular demands, difficulties and temptations. At the same time, the vision conjured up by this proposal appears to be derived from bad gangster movies. Unjustified suspicion can, and does, easily fall on the innocent. There are solicitors who have hadcareers and lives ruined by officers wrongly convinced of their guilt. Redemption ten years later hardly make up for the damage caused.

What happens when a policeman is taken to task for failing to do his job? He says 'Well I would do much better if you gave me extra powers' His answer comes irrespective of the truth. When the politician is asked why certain sorts of events are continuing, he needs (always) to be able to say 'well we are taking additional powers which will assist'. It serves the police to ask and it serves the politician to say yes. Neither need have any actual basis in objective need or purpose.
We do not know the precise form the proposal will take.Once formed, it would in reality be a major effort to establish just where it its into existing provisions.
We cannot know the precise problems faced by police officers. We do not know the extent of corruption within our profession.

I just say that any level of corruption needs to be attacked, but attacked with a knowledge that such efforts will always remain partially ineffective, and with a need to take care that no innocent bodies are shovelled up with the crap.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: New offences

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 am

An example of the Something Must Be Done Act 2014.

see viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2876&p=35944#p35904
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 am

I thought police officers just retire or resign when faced with the results of wrong doing catching up with them?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

That was indeed quite amusing, but this is rather more along the lines of 'First, lets kill all the lawyers'
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students