Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Judiciary - Police relationship

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

The Judiciary - Police relationship

Postby Albert » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08 am

I sometimes wonder what the relationship is, or should be, between the police and the judiciary, especially considering the roles played by the police in the criminal courts.

Would it be appropriate, for example, for a senior judge to be guest of honour at a police awards ceremony?

My own thoughts are that there has to be a separation of roles, but in saying that, both areas are part of the establishment.

Any comments appreciated.
Albert

Re: The Judiciary - Police relationship

Postby miner » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Separation. Judges need to be VERY careful in whose company they are seen.

(Apart from which I've found that the upper echelons of police officers are often lacking in integrity and honesty and are routine abusers of their exalted positions.)
miner

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:26 pm

There are guidelines for judges. As you would expect.

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/J ... t_2013.pdf
atticus

Postby dls » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm

I do not imagine that a judge's attendance at any reputable function would be subject to crtiticism.
How many times do we hear judge being criticised for not taking part in general society.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Albert » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:16 pm

I feel judges should be able to join in normal social activities and be part of society generally although perhaps to the extent of becoming a local celebrity is going too far.

I am aware of The Guide to Judicial Conduct, for example.

I am more specifically concerned about the relationship with the local police force. Sort of "we are on the same side after all" concerns me. The relationship when juxtaposed in court is worrying. The defence is at a disadvantage when the judge and prosecution slap each other on the back at award ceremonies.
Albert

Postby shootist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 am

dls wrote:I do not imagine that a judge's attendance at any reputable function would be subject to crtiticism.

Like Lodge Meetings, for example? :twisted:
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students