Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

High Court Judges returning to work in the field

For the law, regulation, and practice of the various professions and those heading out to join up.

High Court Judges returning to work in the field

Postby Albert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am

Could I ask, do many senior High Court judges give up the bench to return to work for a law firm? I always imagine the elevation is a one way trip but not sure why.
Albert

Re: High Court Judges returning to work in the field

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am

It has happened, but I can only think of one instance in recent years, Sir Hugh Laddie.

Judges tend to retire at the end of their careers, although some take up part time roles as mediators/arbitrators.

On retirement, High Court Judges are usually in an extremely good financial position, having had a successful career at the bar, topped up by a judicial pension.

Why do you ask: are you considering this career path?
atticus

Postby Albert » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

I know someone (say friend/relative) who has had a decent career as a senior High Court judge and is considering stepping down. Not sure why, but they have received an offer from a law firm that I can only assume is one not to turn down (but even so...).

He knows the senior partners and indeed most of the employees having tried various cases involving them over the years. It just seems very odd. I find it awkward to discuss the matter with colleagues and friends and thought I'd try a different perspective.

I found this quote interesting from your wiki link (thank you) He resigned from his post as a judge in 2005, "because he found it boring" and felt isolated on the bench
Albert

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

He may also have worked with them in his time at the bar.

This person will have his own reasons; judges are people, and like people they vary.

You may also reading things about reducing morale amongst the judiciary, difficulties getting enough good candidates to fill vacancies, that kind of thing.
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:10 am

Laddie was the obvious one. He was very respected as a High Court judge. I have no inside knowledge but suspect he might have wanted a bit more of teh rugh and tumble (and money?) of private practice.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Professions, Legal and Other. and their Students