Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

County Court Districts

County Court Districts

Postby TimothyP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Wikipedia says

“Until unification in 2014, county courts were local courts in the sense that each one has an area over which certain kinds of jurisdiction, for example, proceedings for possession of land had to be started in the county court in whose district the property lay”

and

“Before 2014 there were numerous separate county court systems, each with jurisdiction across England and Wales for enforcement of its orders, but each with a defined "county court district" from which it took claims.”

How can one find out in which “county court district” any given property lay?
TimothyP

Re: County Court Districts

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

I used to phone the court I thought most likely to check. This was in the days when someone would answer the phone.

Nowadays you can try this link and follow the options you are offered https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/search/
atticus

Postby TimothyP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks atticus.

I tried the site to which you posted a link. It is, however, unable to say in which “county court district” any given property lay.
TimothyP

Postby atticus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

did you select housing possession actions, and then type in the postcode of the property? It worked for me just now.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 am

I practised in Brighouse - mid way between Halifax, Huddersfield, Dewsbury and Bradford County Courts. Each Court had its own way of working - particularly in family law. You needed to know what different courts would want and what they would accept. They differed markedly.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby TimothyP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Atticus; your suggestion works perfectly.
TimothyP

Postby TimothyP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

Actually, atticus, your suggestion finds out which is the court or tribunal nearest to a place but does not say in which “county court district” any given property lay - which is not precisely the same thing. Thanks anyway.
TimothyP

Return to Litigation Practice