Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Take a dump, or get off the pot.

Re: Take a dump, or get off the pot.

Postby shootist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm

When I left the RAF in 1976 I got a job with an aircraft repair business, now long gone, at East midland airport. It was a long trek and I only had a couple of motorbikes which duly clapped out on me in the middle of winter. I spoke to my manager and told him that I couldn't get to work for the foreseeable future, being too broke too afford replacement transport. I asked if he would consider dismissing me so that I could claim benefits which would allow me to get by until I could find another job (scarce at the time). If I resigned I would have to wait for two months before I could make any such claim which would have caused me and my wife immense problems. He said that I would never be sacked no matter how long I stayed away. I left and never had any more contact with them. Over the years I have often wondered what would have happened if I had turned up, say a decade or two later with my little mechanics tool box and asked for a new clocking on card.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby diy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am

I wrote part of the flight information display system at East midlands airport - a long time a go. Back when the displays where 20kg TVs
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: put up or shut up

Postby atticus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am

I once went to a meeting in Kegworth. My colleague who was driving introduced me to The Seahorses (John Squires' band after The Stone Roses) on the way back.

This was not long after the plane crash. The damage to the motorway embankment was clearly visible.
atticus

Postby atticus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:39 am

I thought The Seahorses were dire, by the way.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 am

stone roses should have been good though
diy

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 am

They were. But The Stone Roses were not on offer.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 am

I'm now assuming this was some sort of mix tape? rather than a meeting with the band.
diy

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 am

We were in his car. He played the Seahorses' album. It was either a cassette or a CD. I did buy the cd from a charity shop a few years later. It was still dreadful. I gave it back to the charity shop.

We drove all the way back to London down the M1. I cannot remember if we stopped at a service station.

The meeting in Kegworth, by the way, was with a professor of veterinary epidemiology. Very interesting case.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Meanwhile, back on topic, people are getting stressed by the situation.
I have pondered as to whether inaction can ever be considered as harassment and decided on maybe, but not here.
There has been a suggestion that somebody approach him to suggest mediation. I cannot see any mileage in that idea, although it might just get things moving.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Successful mediations usually involve compromise - on both sides. Are you prepared to give this claimant something?
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Litigation Practice