Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

A 'new' book.

A 'new' book.

Postby shootist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 am

Hardly a literary work though. From eBay I have acquired a copy of Stone's Justices' Manual, dated 1901. Previously the property of Haworth & Broughton solicitors of Accrington, according to the stamp on the inside cover. This may make interesting browsing when comparing the law then with how it is now. Maybe.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: A 'new' book.

Postby dls » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:36 am

It would be interstingmostly for thedifferences in volume of law, and the style of presentation.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:47 pm

As far as the volume of law goes, the book is one volume of about the same thickness as one volume of the current Stones. The paper is somewhat thicker too, which should give an indication of the volume of law it contains. There is no indication that there should be any other volumes. It is the 33rd edition, priced at twenty five shillings. At first glance I can't find any reference to the more serious crimes, murder, robbery, and the like.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Probably because Justices didn't try those offences.
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:40 pm

atticus wrote:Probably because Justices didn't try those offences.

I assumed that would be the case, but I couldn't remember from last reading a current Stones whether such offences are mentioned.
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 pm

They must have done a lot of committal proceedings for serious offences in those days, though.
Smouldering Stoat

Return to Litigation Practice