Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What to Call A Judge

What to Call A Judge

Postby Spankymonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 am

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/you-and-th ... all-judge/

What if I choose not to call the judge any of these things and he insists that I do?
Spankymonkey

Re: What to Call A Judge

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:10 am

In that event you are unwise. You don't want to piss the judge off.

You may be committing contempt in the face of the court.
atticus

Re: What to Call A Judge

Postby dls » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am

Most, I think, will not be too bothered, but it suggests a general approach which misunderstands what is going on. As Atti says, it can get out of hand and become a contempt.

In civil proceedings two parties, unable to resolve their differences between themselves, find a third party they both respect who can be asked to hear everything and make an honest informed judgment which will be accepted by, binding on, the parties. It is an act of submission, The title merely reflects that submission by a party to the court, and a refusal to use the appropriate title shows a lack of the necessary respect. It appears childish and petty. Many cases involve an assessment of the honesty and reasonableness of the parties giving evidence. In making that assessment, a court uses the best evidence given to it. This will include the way the parties represent themselves.

A party accused of violence but denying it, cannot safely expect to have his denial believed if he accompanies it in court with a bashing of the usher.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Litigation Practice