Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Plugging the Justice gap...

Plugging the Justice gap...

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Law graduates could help plug the widening access to justice gap by representing litigants in person in court proceedings, the new master of the rolls has suggested.

Graduates can be given rights of audience under existing legislation, Sir Terence Etherton pointed out. He said this would be a ‘far better’ way to address the fast-expanding number of LIPs than enabling a proliferation of ‘unregulated, uninsured’ paid McKenzie friends.

Speaking last night at the LawWorks annual Pro Bono Awards, Etherton outlined a three-point plan for an expanded pro bono advice scheme for consideration by government, judiciary and regulators.

‘The starting point would be collaboration between universities, pro bono advice centres and law firms,’ he said.

This would increase the number of law graduates – those who have completed both the academic and vocational stage of qualification but not secured pupillage or training contracts - who would be able to provide legal advice to LIPs.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/let-gr ... 89.article
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Plugging the Justice gap...

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

This is an excellent idea. But why stop there? Why not open up rights of audience to people who've watched a bit of Silk or a few episodes of Judge John Deed? While we're at it, we could allow butchers - who, let's face it, are already adept at cutting things up and have some really sharp knives - perform open heart surgery.

In the alternative (as I heard them say on Crown Court) we could have a properly-funded and adequate legal aid system.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
Are you not too keen on the suggestion?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 am

I did a couple of years ago make enquiries to fund a law centre managed by people who had qualified on paper bt could not find training contracts. We had the money, but it did not work out.
I did not envisage them providing representation.
I think that the criminal legal aid system was broken by Blair's show trials after the London bombings. There were a whole series of extremely expensive trials which ultimately (and properly) failed. I once saw figures suggesting that they consumed a high proportion of the national criminal legal aid system.
The prosecutions were in practice undertaken so that Blair could appear to be doing something about terrorism and to hell with whether they were a disgraceful injustice to the victims/defendants.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Litigation Practice