Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Attendance Note?

Attendance Note?

Postby Earl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 am

Don't suppose I have any chance of success in getting what I want out of a solicitor, but would appreciate solicitors answers to the question below.

I attended a meeting at my fathers solicitors, and certain questions were asked and answered. My question is if I wrote to the solicitor for conformation about this meeting, would they have to provide it.

Also if he doesn't have to provide it since I was not the client, how could I go about getting information from the solicitors. I ask this because in my head is a small idea that they are all officers of the court and should not withhold evidence etc.
They are not acting for my father at this time, about this matter, another solicitors are.

Thanks
Earl

Re: Attendance Note?

Postby shootist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 am

I suspect it may be possible by means of a data subject access request as there should be some record of what was said. It is quite possible that lawyers may have some get out clause to this possibility though, being the sneaky buggers they are. (In a nice way of course, although that depends upon who's side they're on)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am

If you are not their client, the solicitors are not obliged to provide their notes to you.

You may take your own notes of meetings.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:58 pm

They are not acting for my father at this time, about this matter, another solicitors are.

but they have a continuing duty owed only to your father not to provide any such unless at his instruction.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Earl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 am

O.K Thanks for that. However a related question. If I asked them to confirm that they sent me a letter by recorded delivery, on such and such date could they answer this. Or should they answer this.
Earl

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am

Could - obviously.

Should - why?

Did you receive such a letter?
atticus

Postby Earl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

Yes I received such a letter, but my father will probably deny that he requested it sent. It was a letter of notification to change properties held as joint tenants to tenants in common. It was sent in December 2013 and was sent to upset me, and as a warning to his power over me. He eventually did it, the change October 2015. It was meant to torment me and cause me distress.
Earl

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 am

If you received the letter and have it in your possession, why should you need to ask the sender if they sent it?
atticus

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am

Earl - step back. What is your ultimate objective?

What do you need to prove to get there?

Is it really necessary to get someone to confirm that a letter that you received was sent? Doesn't the fact that you received it speak for itself?

Never lose sight of the big picture. See my post on litigation - the basics at the top of the litigation forum.
atticus

Postby dls » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 am

Yes I received such a letter, but my father will probably deny that he requested it sent.

If they are or were his solicitors, then teh notice will be effective.He would have to come up with some very strong evidence otherwise.

It is called a severance. The very fact that it may be disputed may be enough to act as a severance.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Litigation Practice