Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

will writing

will writing

Postby Earl » Mon May 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Just a quick question.

My husband wants to change a couple of items in his will. Can I write it for him copying most of the original from a solicitor, just changing what he wants, and give it him to sign, date etc with a professional couple next door. I'm a beneficiary you see? Don't worry we are not in our dotage
and he can read.
Earl

Re: will writing

Postby shootist » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

There's no reason why you cannot do that, it will be perfectly legal. Whether it will be wise or not is another thing altogether. Remember, where there's a will there's a relative. Also, legal opinions offered on a shooting forum are about the same value as advice on shooting will be if acquired from a legal forum.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I agree about shooting forums!

This being a legal discussion forum, I suggest getting this done by a local solicitor. The charges for basic wills are usually quite inexpensive. DIY risks getting something wrong.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby atticus » Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Can I just add that with wills there are some formalities and technicalities that do need to be got right. Getting them wrong can make a will invalid.
atticus

Postby dls » Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

We cannot say whether the changes are appropriate or disastrous.
If it is an older document, recognise that a solicitor may want to bring other elements up to date also.

As Atti says, wills are usually not at all expensive. They can be simple, and they can be not simple. From here we cannot tell which it is.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Mon May 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Before my present job, I was with a solicitors firm in a small country town. A chap set up as a "will writer". We soon ascertained, from having to sort out problems, that he was incompetent.

He advertised that as he was not a solicitor, he did not charge solicitor's fees. I think the implication was clear.

He did not charge solicitor's prices. No, his fees were several times higher! Our senior partner took to advertising our fee scale, in a box ad placed next to his.

So please check if you think about going to a will writer who says that as he is not a solicitor he does not charge solicitor's fees. A phone call will cost you nothing.
atticus

Postby Earl » Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, all good sense.

The will is 18 months old, and a paragraph needs to be updated. It was professionally done in the first place. Just one small bequest needs to be reduced because the person in question has had the money already.
Earl

Return to Wills and Probate