Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Funds in Italy to repatriate post probate

Funds in Italy to repatriate post probate

Postby carlsbergy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 am

Good Morning,
I realise this is not UK law, but would be grateful if anybody has any experience on the following please:

My father died last year (UK citizen/95% of assets in uk, 5% in Italy) , I completed all the probate, but still need to repatriate the remaining cash that is held in an Italian bank account.
I understand that I need to get the will, death certificate, grant of probate translated and legalised in the UK. Does the translation need to be done by a consulate registered translator? The Italian consulate only assists Italian citizens not UK citizens so cannot help me with the answer. If anyone has any experience, it would be appreciated. Thanks
carlsbergy

Re: Funds in Italy to repatriate post probate

Postby atticus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:26 am

I can only suggest that you make sure that you understand the requirements of the people who have control over the money and can release it to you. Ask them, and if there is any doubt, get clarification. You need to be able to tick those people's boxes.
atticus

Postby atticus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am

Can the British consulate in Italy assist you?
atticus

Postby dls » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:13 am

Do not assume that you need to jump through all the hoops. You might, but Atti is right. Talk to the Italian bank. Do they have a branch in the UK? If teh amount is not huge, there are often procedural shortcuts welcome to both sides. You might have to do everything but find out first.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Wills and Probate