Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Drunken Formicidae

Employment and Discrimination Law

Drunken Formicidae

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 am

There has been talk in the news alleging that a TV personality known as "Ant" has been driving while drunk and caused a crash. I have no reason to doubt the allegations.
I have just heard word on the wireless that the company has terminated all relations between themselves and Mr Ant and his partner.
I am in two minds: on the one hand it is quite right: they are people with significant influence on the younger generation who look to them for example, but OTOH, it seems excessively harsh, particularly compared to almost any footballer that one might care to mention.
It is also particularly harsh on his partner, but I understand they are an inseparable double act: to keep one would be like Morecome without Wise, Ronnie without Ronnie or Monty without Python.

I'm not sure if there is any point of law here to discuss, but the issue troubled me so I thought I'd bring it up...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Drunken Formicidae

Postby Jinxer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 am

I think the problem might be that the crime wasn't sexual. If the crime had of been sexual their would of been a good chance of keeping his job and maybe even get a pay rise. I don't know if this is a real life scenario as I never watch tv nor the news.
It's ok your children are safe, they're locked away behind barbed wire gates. If you don't comply sir they'll send you another fine sir.
Jinxer

Postby 3.14 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Hairyloon wrote:There has been talk in the news alleging that a TV personality known as "Ant" has been driving while drunk and caused a crash.
Did he? (I don't know anything about the case) Or was he arrested for driving while drunk? Not all drunk drivers 'cause' the crashes they are involved in.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:56 pm

3.14 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:There has been talk in the news alleging that a TV personality known as "Ant" has been driving while drunk and caused a crash.
Did he? (I don't know anything about the case) Or was he arrested for driving while drunk? Not all drunk drivers 'cause' the crashes they are involved in.

I don't know. Does it matter for the purpose of this discussion?
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby tph » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm

There was probably a clause in his contract which allowed such a termination. I think difference between him and a footballer is that being a tv personality you are very much judged on who you are, where as no one seems to care about footballers as long as they can kick a ball!
tph

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

Contracts for highly paid and high profile performers contain detailed provisions about not doing anything off screen that might bring themselves or the media outlet into disrepute.

It's not like this is the first such person. Think of [I've forgotten his first name] Barrington* and Angus Deayton. David Icke with a different kind of issue.

There is a whole industry of "reputation management".

*EDIT: Michael Barrymore
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
3.14 wrote:

I don't know. Does it matter for the purpose of this discussion?
Well, you are the one saying it. If it's not actually true then why say it?
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby diy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm

He was arrested following a 3 car smash according to the news. Yes it makes a difference.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:50 am

In another way of showing how negative publicity arising from unacceptable conduct can affect things, the news this morning is that several sponsors of the Australian cricket team and of individual cricketers have cancelled their deals. Their contracts will contain clauses that permit this.
atticus

Return to Employment