Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Equal pay for doing the same job.

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: Equal pay for doing the same job.

Postby Millbrook2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm

The OP has not adressed the issue of what he considers to be the appropriate pay for the job within the pay scale. A fervent trade unionist may maintain that the top of the scale is the rate for the job and the time taken to reach the top is excessive. The employer may maintain that the scale recognises increasing experience and maturity in the job.

An outsider may say that the grading system is a substitute for managerial discretion, avoids favouritism. recognises long service, retains employees when promotion is not happening.

There will be some coppers who never get above the level of constable and I believe originally the pay rate was the same as a manual worker reflecting the level of work or whose heads they banged.

It is a form of motivation, recognition and keeps the keen interested as they work towards promotion. The sloughs, inadequates, ineffectives, and lazy need proper performance management.
Millbrook2

Postby steve » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 pm

A fervent trade unionist may maintain that the top of the scale is the rate for the job and the time taken to reach the top is excessive.

You don't have to be very fervent. My moderate non-political trade union has persuaded my employer to shorten the pay scales by 50% to the benefit of most (and particularly the younger staff).

As it happens, the lever used was the gender pay gap. For whatever reason (and possibly because we have increased our proportion of female employees recently) there was a large equality gap which was leading to a tribunal claim.
steve

Postby Millbrook2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I take your point although the reason I used the word fervent was that they considered a pay scale meant anyone below the top of the scale was being underpaid.
Millbrook2

Previous

Return to Employment