Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Employment and Discrimination Law

Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 pm

I am observing some misdirected vigilantism over alleged collaboration with a convicted paedophile and it has set me to wondering over a few things.
For instance, is one entitled to refuse to serve a paedophile? Is it not a sexual preference and therefore covered by the act?
Would it be allowed to discriminate because he's a criminal?
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10011
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Hairyloon wrote:I am observing some misdirected vigilantism over alleged collaboration with a convicted paedophile and it has set me to wondering over a few things.
For instance, is one entitled to refuse to serve a paedophile? Is it not a sexual preference and therefore covered by the act?
Would it be allowed to discriminate because he's a criminal?


An interesting question. Can you provide a legal source that confirms paedophilia is not a sexual preference? I ask because paedophilia seems to be almost entirely a specific sexual preference. Could you point me towards the relevant legislation you are referring to so I can read up on the context?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Surely the loon has made it clear what legislation he is referring to in the title of thread.
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:45 pm

2010.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19699
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Is it not a sexual preference and therefore covered by the act?
Would it be allowed to discriminate because he's a criminal?


An interesting question. Can you provide a legal source that confirms paedophilia is not a sexual preference? I ask because paedophilia seems to be almost entirely a specific sexual preference.

No. I think it is a sexual preference, and can see no argument to suggest otherwise.

Could you point me towards the relevant legislation you are referring to so I can read up on the context?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10011
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Has the OP read section 12?
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19699
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Interesting. At a quick squint (hardly definitive, I realise) it would seem that paedophiles may indeed benefit from some protection under this Act if they are discriminated against by virtue of their preference for one or both sexes of their victims. Potentially, even if no child was victimised in any way and the paedophile in question expressed a preference he had never acted upon but was discriminated against because of that preference.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Hairyloon wrote:No. I think it is a sexual preference, and can see no argument to suggest otherwise.


Sexual preference seems to be defined in the act as more gender than activity. Male or female. The Hoover doesn't get a look in.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 pm

The OP appears to suggest that it may be unlawful to discriminate against a criminal by reference to his crime.

It should be borne in mind that all sexual activity with a person under the age of 16 is an offence.

If I discriminate against a paedophile I do so because of the age of the person towards whom his or her desires are directed, and not the gender of the object of those desires.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19699
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Paedophilia and the Equality Act.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm

atticus wrote:Has the OP read section 12?

OK, I suppose the actual definition of sexual orientation does provide a fairly strong argument, but is it right to?

In the case above, the question is irrelevant because they can happily discriminate because of his political views, but consider a paedophile who doesn't practice: like the chap in this interview.
Is it right that the law does not protect him?
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10011
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Next

Return to Employment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron