Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Alcohol free tills.

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:The issue at hand is that Aldi asked its customers to use a different till if purchasing alcohol. They say that this follows a member of staff expressing concerns.

Other than that, everything else is speculation. If it is the case that Aldi have allowed a member of staff to refrain from selling alcohol in deference to his religious or philosophical objections, then that is a good thing, and within the finest traditions of British tolerance and fair play.

Aldi is a private place and if they want to operate a no-alcohol till then they are quite within their rights to do so.

It appears that you do not believe in the British values of tolerance, respect for others and respect for private property.

Are you doing your usual "It appears" or are you saying it for sure this time.

Either way, you have yet to show that I object to Aldi's stance on this in any way. Assumptions seem to be fine for you at least. So, let's see if I can address those issues as you seem to prefer to target me rather than the issue.

1) I have no objection to Aldi doing whatever they want in their own store providing it complies with the law, which they appear to have done. I will still shop there notwithstanding there's a Lidl 300 yards away.

2) I object to hypocrisy. This means I object to the shop assistant's hypocrisy in taking employment in a store that sells alcohol, a fact he will have known before seeking special treatment. Where was his sense of 'fair play'. I also object to the hypocrisy shown by people insisting this is about the age of the operator.

3) I also object to Aldi's moral cowardice in refusing to name the employees 'concerns'. Why is it so difficult for them? Never mind that they are entitled to do so, it would be easy for them to clarify this.

4) You mention values of tolerance and respect for others. These are not blank cheques. The Labour party claimed these values when they cozied up to the Paedophile Information Exchange. An extreme example, but an example for all that. I do not see why I should tolerate or respect wilful hypocrisy.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 pm

1) Good.

2) You are a quite quick to jump to the conclusion that the checkout assistant is a hypocrite, even though the nature of his objection is just speculation. Even if you are correct, that's a matter between him, his conscience, and his employer. None of your business.

3) Well done Aldi for respecting this employee's privacy and autonomy.

4) Your whataboutery plumbs new depths.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:If it is the case that Aldi have allowed a member of staff to refrain from selling alcohol in deference to his religious or philosophical objections, then that is a good thing, and within the finest traditions of British tolerance and fair play.

Has anybody here expressed any doubt on that point? I've lost track amid all the distraction into the age question. Which was, I thought we had agreed early on, largely irrelevant: it does not matter what the concern actually was, the evidence is entirely consistent with it being related to religion so people are entitled to make that assumption, and many people have done so.

The question, if you'd like to refer back to OP, was of what to do about those who have made that assumption and thrown a hissy fit over it.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:55 pm

It should be pointed out to those people that they're crying manbabies. After that, they should be ignored.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:After that, they should be ignored.

You don't think we should recognise the problem and look at how to address it?
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I find that toddlers who are having a tantrum soon get over it if you ignore them. I think the same probably applies to the adult variety. Other than that I don't think that crying manbabies pose much of a problem.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Does Aldi have a naughty step?
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Smouldering Stoat wrote:After that, they should be ignored.

You don't think we should recognise the problem and look at how to address it?

Oh come on now. You say you've read this thread? that's the last thing that some members want to do, hence all the distraction techniques. This thread could be used as a lesson plan on how to avoid discussing an issue.
Last edited by shootist on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Other than that I don't think that crying manbabies pose much of a problem.

Would that be the same much of a problem that the extremist Muslims don't pose? Was it not exactly this kind of crying manbaby that killed Jo Cox last year?
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Are you suggesting that the people who are upset by this kind of thing are some kind of fifth column?
Smouldering Stoat

PreviousNext

Return to Employment