Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Alcohol free tills.

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 am

Hairyloon wrote:
Smouldering Stoat wrote:Source?

Logical analysis of the available information.


Presented for your pleasure.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am

Surely an employee under the age of 18 can raise concerns about being asked to sell alcohol.

The hearsay of what the TLA has apparently said does not tell us the cause of the concern.

In the meantime, as has been said, it is all assumptions.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19434
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:22 am

atticus wrote:Surely an employee under the age of 18 can raise concerns about being asked to sell alcohol.

Of course they can, but why would those concerns not be dealt with as Shootist suggests?

By insisting that age is likely to be the issue you are pandering to those who believe there is a real problem over people refusing to discuss the ethnic questions.
No, not pandering, you are emphatically proving them to be right.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9884
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:28 am

I have insisted on nothing. More assumptions.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19434
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 am

The point is that there is insufficient information to analyse to determine what concern the concern the employee raised was. Everything else is pure speculation.

Shooty says that it is "obvious" that it is because he's Muslim, and that the store would have handled it differently if he'd been under 18, but quite frankly it's not obvious at all. Perhaps they would have dealt with it as he suggests, and perhaps they wouldn't. Nobody knows. No, we're not going to continue the discussion on the basis that it "It must have been because he was under 18.", because nobody has said that: any more than we are going to continue the discussion on the basis that it must be because he was a Muslim.

What ethnic question? If Aldi wish to accommodate an employee's wish not to sell alcohol, then they are quite within their rights. Even the Sun says so. The problem is not with Aldi, it is with snowflakes who have a nervous breakdown at the prospect of having to wait thirty seconds extra to buy their White Lightning.
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:41 am

Exactamundo.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19434
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 pm

atticus wrote:But under 18s may not sell alcohol. That was the reason that the checkout operator in the thing I saw could not sell alcohol. This is a law thing not an opportunity for dog whistle racism.


Source? I have not seen any source that confirms it was an age issue.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:23 pm

You've already responded to that post, shouty, in your reply where you speculated that Atticus may have seen a report of a different incident. Well done for going back eight days for your quote-mining, though.

Nobody has been harmed in this incident, except the feelings of a few people who quite frankly ought not to be allowed out without a responsible adult.

This country has a long history of religious tolerance and of giving consideration to the religious sensibilities of its citizens. Good for Aldi for standing up for the finest traditions of the United Kingdom. Why do you hate our country so much, shouty?
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby shootist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:You've already responded to that post, shouty, in your reply where you speculated that Atticus may have seen a report of a different incident. Well done for going back eight days for your quote-mining, though.


In my first response I speculated, as you correctly say. However, upon reflection I thought it reasonable to demand the same proofs you require when you encounter things you disagree with.

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Nobody has been harmed in this incident, except the feelings of a few people who quite frankly ought not to be allowed out without a responsible adult.

This country has a long history of religious tolerance and of giving consideration to the religious sensibilities of its citizens. Good for Aldi for standing up for the finest traditions of the United Kingdom.


It is amazing the determination of certain people here to avoid by any means possible the issue at hand.

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Why do you hate our country so much, shouty?


Well, I first need to assess what it is you have said there. Are you actually saying I hate my country? Or are you just saying it seems like I hate my country, or I sound like I hate my country, but God forbid anyone might think you have actually said I hate my country?
Last edited by atticus on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: offensive breach of site rules deleted. next time it will be the whole post that goes.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Alcohol free tills.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:51 pm

The issue at hand is that Aldi asked its customers to use a different till if purchasing alcohol. They say that this follows a member of staff expressing concerns.

Other than that, everything else is speculation. If it is the case that Aldi have allowed a member of staff to refrain from selling alcohol in deference to his religious or philosophical objections, then that is a good thing, and within the finest traditions of British tolerance and fair play.

Aldi is a private place and if they want to operate a no-alcohol till then they are quite within their rights to do so.

It appears that you do not believe in the British values of tolerance, respect for others and respect for private property.
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6280
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

PreviousNext

Return to Employment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest