Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Equality Act 2010 - Male only instructor

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: Equality Act 2010 - Male only instructor

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 pm

The fact that the affected employees do not wish to complain is surely a reason why the OP should be able to do so - as long as he is happy to be named as the complainant so as not to bring any retribution down on these zero hours contract ladies.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm

OTOH, if they made the complaint themselves, they would be protected by the law (on paper at least).
Would they have the same (theoretical) protection if the employer linked them to a complaint made by a customer?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby b1969 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:31 pm

If he can do that, great. I just assumed the only person who could complain about discrimination was a victim of it (or their representative)?
b1969

Postby diy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm toiling with the idea that I write a note to the HQ as a concerned customer, I'm disturbed to see such a disregard for employment law.

The thing is... it will get back to the individuals as the gym coordinate job has the ultimate power, choosing who does which classes, who gets double or triple bookings and who schleps in an out for one 45 minute class. Its a job that has more supply than demand.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Why not have a word with the manager? The approach could be about the regular cancellation of classes. You could steer the conversation around to that whether the instructor is male or female really doesn't matter, as long as the class happens.

If she repeats the previous line, you could gently raise an eyebrow and ask "isn't that discrimination?"
atticus

Previous

Return to Employment