Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Sickness - Invasive questioning

Employment and Discrimination Law

Sickness - Invasive questioning

Postby Lu&Craig » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello,

My partner recently had her first bought of sickness from her job in retail for a national company, well, i say sickness...

She was bitten 4 times around her knee by something whilst at work, these bites blistered and over the next 4 days her knee swelled and looked red and angry, infection was obvious. Her branch manager was well aware, saw the bites at there worst and sent her home early. She then had 2 rostered days off.

We got her into the GP the same afternoon she was sent home, she had cellulitis as a result of the bites and was placed on antibiotics. She returned to work for her next shift.

On her days off, her branch manager was texting her asking what the doctor said, and that she NEEDS to come in for her next shift.

When she returned to work, she was pulled into the office for a 'back to work' interview. The store manager, who she gets on well with, stated she didn't want to do it, but it was policy, that's fair enough.

My partner was handed a document to complete which i found utterly ridiculous and slightly offensive. There was the usual questioning, along with.... What time and date did you see a doctor? Where did you see a doctor? What was the doctors name? What was the diagnosis? What medication were you given? What dosage?

These are just the ones i can remember off of the top of my head which i found utterly ridiculous. This was a legitimate illness - which subsequently has not been marked as sick as she was sent home 2 hours before her shift finished.

My question is: How much information is she obliged to provide? especially as it was not recorded as sickness, and even if it was, there was no doctors note, or SSP1 completed.

Many thanks.

Craig.
Lu&Craig

Re: Sickness - Invasive questioning

Postby dls » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:55 am

The questions do not seem unnecessarily intrusive. Over the years, more and more employers have recognised that the old system of doctor's certificates simply gave people time off when it was snot justified.
The employer should have policies which control such matters.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Sickness - Invasive questioning

Postby shootist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:31 pm

FWIW, I have been hospitalised with cellulitis. I've not felt so ill in all my life. I was three days on intravenous antibiotics. It can be potentially fatal. A completely bloody miserable way of spending a few days, albeit I can only really remember one of them.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Return to Employment