Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Verbal advice of payrise not adhered to

Employment and Discrimination Law

Verbal advice of payrise not adhered to

Postby artemis » Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I suspect this is a no go but when I was offered a job I was advised that my salary would increase by a specific amount with a pay review at 6 months. It's a small company and profits have fluctuated over that time and I can't be sure how well it's doing financially but has recruited new staff in the time I've been there.
Lots of excuses from management and it's now a significant period of time since that time when I was expecting the pay increase I had been advised of. I have mentioned it a number of times and it's just been brushed aside with excuses. I can understand the general consensus would be to go elsewhere but is there any grounds at all on the basis of potential loss of earnings as I was relying on that increase that never happened and it has caused increased financial hardship as a result.

Management has since changed and the person I report to is aware of what was offered to me when I started but still indicates there is insufficient funds which I can be sure is an honest response.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
artemis

Re: Verbal advice of payrise not adhered to

Postby dls » Sat May 06, 2017 2:27 pm

If the promise was not precise (x thousand pounds on such and such a day), then your chances are slim.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby artemis » Sat May 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks dls, he did state the amount I was starting at £xxk and that it would be rising to £xxk+1 with a pay review after 6 months but the pay review didn't technically happen, the company doesn't tend to have any 1 to 1s or anything as such. I did get a sort of performance review after about 4 months expecting something in a couple of months after but that was to be the only performance review received. I've chased it a number of times and a meeting was arranged around a year ago but I was unable attend due to serious personal circumstances at the time.
artemis

Postby atticus » Sat May 06, 2017 8:12 pm

You may have to accept the position or move on.
atticus

Return to Employment