Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Employment and Discrimination Law

Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm

If, during the course of his employment, an atheist is asked to do something he believes to be immoral, then is it likely to be discrimination if he is sacked for refusing to do it?
Assume for clear comparison that it is a reasonable belief: perhaps it is forbidden by some of the major religions.
Or would that provide a defence: it is not discrimination because he would treat all religions the same?
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby shootist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Hairyloon wrote:If, during the course of his employment, an atheist is asked to do something he believes to be immoral, then is it likely to be discrimination if he is sacked for refusing to do it?
Assume for clear comparison that it is a reasonable belief: perhaps it is forbidden by some of the major religions.
Or would that provide a defence: it is not discrimination because he would treat all religions the same?


I don't think that you quite understand your own question.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby 3.14 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Or would that provide a defence: it is not discrimination because he would treat all religions the same?

An atheist would treat all religions the same, as mythology, interesting from a cultural point of view but not as something that decisions are based on.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 pm

3.14 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:Or would that provide a defence: it is not discrimination because he would treat all religions the same?

An atheist would treat all religions the same, as mythology, interesting from a cultural point of view but not as something that decisions are based on.

I meant that the employer would treat all religions the same.
I trust you were not suggesting that atheists are not capable of making moral decisions. The question is about whether such a decision made by such a person is afforded the same respect as someone who shares the same position through the blind following of scripture.

Consider three employees: (A), an atheist, (B) a strict Christian and (C) a seventh day no-consequarian.
The employer instructs them in turn to go next door and covet the man's ox. (A) refuses, claiming it is immoral, (B) refuses citing scripture and (C) goes and does it.
He sacks A and B.
Do either or both have a discrimination claim?
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby 3.14 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Hairyloon wrote:I trust you were not suggesting that atheists are not capable of making moral decisions.
I'm suggesting exactly what I wrote.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby 3.14 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Hairyloon wrote:I trust you were not suggesting that atheists are not capable of making moral decisions. The question is about whether such a decision made by such a person is afforded the same respect as someone who shares the same position through the blind following of scripture.

Consider three employees: (A), an atheist, (B) a strict Christian and (C) a seventh day no-consequarian.
The employer instructs them in turn to go next door and covet the man's ox. (A) refuses, claiming it is immoral, (B) refuses citing scripture and (C) goes and does it.
He sacks A and B.
Do either or both have a discrimination claim?

There's plenty of instructions that I wouldn't follow. As long as the instruction is (a) legal (b) is a reasonable instruction from a superior, then I would follow it.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:36 pm

3.14 wrote:There's plenty of instructions that I wouldn't follow. As long as the instruction is (a) legal (b) is a reasonable instruction from a superior, then I would follow it.

"Reasonable" covers a lot of bases.
The point is that where you may refuse an instruction because you believe it unreasonable, your colleague might refuse because his book tells him to.
If he were dismissed for that refusal, then I don't see how he wouldn't have a case for discrimination, nor can I see how it would be right if you would not.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby 3.14 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
3.14 wrote:There's plenty of instructions that I wouldn't follow. As long as the instruction is (a) legal (b) is a reasonable instruction from a superior, then I would follow it.

"Reasonable" covers a lot of bases.
The point is that where you may refuse an instruction because you believe it unreasonable, your colleague might refuse because his book tells him to.
If he were dismissed for that refusal, then I don't see how he wouldn't have a case for discrimination, nor can I see how it would be right if you would not.

As an employer, I would 100% give legal, reasonable instructions. I would expect my employees to follow them 100% or face disciplinary action.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Athesim, morality and discrimination.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I don't believe the question arose from any of your employees. Not all employers follow your sterling example.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.


Return to Employment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests