Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

secretly recording conversations

Employment and Discrimination Law

secretly recording conversations

Postby megaman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm

I am in a ongoing disciplinary process at work.

I have been secretly recording meetings

Is there any reason why I should not reveal the fact that i have done this and use it in evidence?
does anyone know of any law against it?
megaman

Re: secretly recording conversations

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 pm

There have been many threads about this meg. Search for "covert recording", and a few similar search terms.
atticus

Postby miner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:56 pm

megaman wrote:I am in a ongoing disciplinary process at work.

I have been secretly recording meetings

Is there any reason why I should not reveal the fact that i have done this and use it in evidence?

1. What is, if I recall correctly, illegal is recording "eavesdropping": recording a conversation between two parties when you are not one of the parties.

2. It is, I recall, perfectly legal to record a conversation between yourself and another party without informing the other party that you are recording it. I have done it.

Whether (2) is would be accepted in a Court as evidence is a different matter, for reasons which may be obvious (i.e unofficial recordings can easily be 'doctored").
miner

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 am

megaman wrote:Is there any reason why I should not reveal the fact that i have done this and use it in evidence?

There is no law against it, but your employer may consider it as gross misconduct and sack you. Such dismissal may prove to be unfair, but it is not a course I would choose to take unless I was confident that all the ducks were lined up.

I suggest perhaps you are upfront about it: say that you've been finding the process overwhelming and ask that the meeting be recorded so that you can review it afterwards.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:41 am

Here is a thread discussing the admissibility in evidence of covert recordings, with added case law.

And here is another.
atticus

Postby megaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

miner wrote:
megaman wrote: (i.e unofficial recordings can easily be 'doctored").

It would be very hard to 'doctor' a recording without it sounding like a chopped up compilation of edited sections unless you know what you are doing and have good editing software.
if this was a reason to doubt that recordings are genuine then any sort of written document, especially anything that is not handwritten, would be useless and even a small amount of Photoshop skill could forge anything.
megaman

Postby megaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
megaman wrote:Is there any reason why I should not reveal the fact that i have done this and use it in evidence?

There is no law against it, but your employer may consider it as gross misconduct and sack you. Such dismissal may prove to be unfair, but it is not a course I would choose to take unless I was confident that all the ducks were lined up.

I suggest perhaps you are upfront about it: say that you've been finding the process overwhelming and ask that the meeting be recorded so that you can review it afterwards.

Thanks for this and other replies.
the main duck that i want lined up is getting dismissed (and having the recordings ready for use in a tribunal)
as long as i have that one i will have nothing to loose at that point.
megaman

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Apart from twelve hundred quid in tribunal fees, and your employment prospects.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm

megaman wrote:The main duck that i want lined up is getting dismissed (and having the recordings ready for use in a tribunal)...

Better to avoid getting dismissed.

Is there a higher authority in the company than the one you have an issue with?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Return to Employment