Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

LGBT

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: LGBT

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Thereby demonstrating your continued failure to understand. Patronising me doesn't help.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 pm

What is it that you think I don't understand? Does it relate in any way to the discussion of law?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Every now and then a situation arises where you say something which turns out not to have been what you meant to say and not what you thought you were saying. Others respond to what you have said (as opposed to not said).

I think we are in another of those situations. I am not going to analyse it any further.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 pm

No Atti, I asked you where you think the line should be drawn, it should have been clear that the question referred to between suitability and unsuitability.
Obviously, if that question is too difficult for you then you should continue to hedge about and avoid it, but such behaviour is rather tedious.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:12 pm

FFS.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby 3.14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
3.14 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:No Atti, the context is in the suitability of the candidate.
I think you've proved your unsuitability for this role.

Was there ever any doubt?
Hairyloon wrote:Not a job I think that I want...

It might be that there exists many candidates who are not LGBT who might be suitable for this role but you are not one.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Hairyloon wrote:The person specification says that the applicant "must identify as LGBT".

Is it possible to identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual all at the same time then or is there a conjunction missing somewhere from that ad?

Also, what would happen if you identify as being gay, but think Transexuals are suffering from mental illness? Are you likely to get the job?

I should imagine the LGBT requirement in such an ad is less about sexual orientation and more about virtue signalling. Standard practise as a way of circumventing anti-discrimination laws so that they only employ those that share their particular beliefs and politics.
Spankymonkey

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I sometimes imagine that I'm King of Narnia, but that doesn't make it so.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:I sometimes imagine that I'm King of Narnia, but that doesn't make it so.

Nevertheless, you are free to imagine, as is your choice.
Spankymonkey

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am

Spankymonkey wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:The person specification says that the applicant "must identify as LGBT".

Is it possible to identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual all at the same time then or is there a conjunction missing somewhere from that ad?

Lesbian is a sub-class of gay and I don't think being transsexual precludes one from being gay, so the question remains of whether being bisexual precludes being gay.

Also, what would happen if you identify as being gay, but think Transexuals are suffering from mental illness? Are you likely to get the job?

Interesting point, since the organisation generally deals with mental illness.I imagine that depends on what you mean by "suffering", and also by "illness".
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Employment