Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

LGBT

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: LGBT

Postby dls » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm

I anticpate that they will have thought it through in detail.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm

One would hope they have.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 pm

I can see arguments against: what are the uniquely LGBT life experiences that are relevant to the workplace?
I can imagine all kinds of difficulties one might have as "the only gay in the village" as the saying goes, but are they very much different to those experienced by an individual of some other minority?
How ubiquitous is homophobia? Is it not possible for an LGBT person to pass through life without these adverse experiences?
If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 pm

I can envisage good reasons. Perhaps to help with gaining trust, ability to empathise and counsel based on personal experience.

May I invite you to be moved to ask this employer its reasons? Then report back here for further discussion.
atticus

Postby Boo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Peer mentors I've come across are ex service users who have been out of the service for a specified time.
Their knowledge is invaluable to those who are undergoing a period of transition.

Any life change process has its share of difficulties; dealing with past traumas, relationships, accessing fair treatment, etc.
It can be comforting and less isolating to know the person you're working with has shared experiences and identifies with the service user - without explicit disclosure. The 'time out' of service is crucial to establish boundaries.

While in this type of role, there are also opportunities for personal growth by accessing in-house training so they can move onto more permanent roles.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Boo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?

It's 'a' relevant life experience.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:25 am

atticus wrote:May I invite you to be moved to ask this employer its reasons? Then report back here for further discussion.

It is a "peer support role". To be a peer, you need to have had "similar life experiences"...

Main duties and responsibilities
Group work
1. Delivery of skills based courses, workshops and/or support groups at locations across the city.
2. Collection of evaluation and monitoring information from the groups.
3. Liaison with the Volunteer Coordinator around opportunities for volunteers to co-facilitate groups.
4. Mentoring and support of trainee volunteers who are co-facilitating groups, including debriefing and regular supervision.
5. Identifying opportunities for development and/or partnership working.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 am

I was hoping we might see the employer's explanation of how it justifies the requirement, and not just the job description. Could you ask again?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 am

I am concerned that such a question would flag me up to them as a troublemaker, PiTA or an insufferable know it all, and they may yet have a job that I do want.
You may have not spotted that diplomacy is not my forte: any suggestions how to frame the question to avoid the above?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 am

You could say that you would like to apply, that you believe you are perfectly suited to the role (and why), but that you do not in fact identify as LGBT; nevertheless you hope that they will be able to consider your application. In other words, do not ask the question directly.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Employment