Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

LGBT

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: LGBT

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 am

atticus wrote:You could say that you would like to apply, that you believe you are perfectly suited to the role (and why), but that you do not in fact identify as LGBT; nevertheless you hope that they will be able to consider your application. In other words, do not ask the question directly.

I think that would only elicit the response they have already given. Or possibly they would suggest to apply... I wonder how they've phrased the question on the application form... brb.
The Person Specification lists the essential and desirable criteria necessary for this post, please demonstrate how you meet the requirements of this specification.

Yeah, I think that would cover it, probably from both angles.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: LGBT

Postby Boo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?


Will you be asking that question if they offer you an an interview?
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
User avatar
Boo
 
Posts: 3878
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: On the edge!

Re: LGBT

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Boo wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?


Will you be asking that question if they offer you an an interview?

I was thinking if I wore a dress to the interview, it might evade the question. ;)
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: LGBT

Postby Millbrook2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Boo wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?


Will you be asking that question if they offer you an an interview?

I was thinking if I wore a dress to the interview, it might evade the question. ;)


You are confused Hairy or perhaps inexperienced as cross dressing does not imply LGBT.
Millbrook2
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am

Re: LGBT

Postby 3.14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Maybe hairy didn't do his research. LGBT means Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom
User avatar
3.14
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: LGBT

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Millbrook2 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Boo wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?


Will you be asking that question if they offer you an an interview?

I was thinking if I wore a dress to the interview, it might evade the question. ;)


You are confused Hairy or perhaps inexperienced as cross dressing does not imply LGBT.

But a winky does imply words spoken in jest... and last I checked, "transvestite" does begin with "T": it's an easy confusion. ;)
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: LGBT

Postby shootist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Millbrook2 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Boo wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:If persecution is the relevant "life experience" then doesn't someone who has suffered persecution for some other reason have more in common with the service users than an LGBT who has not?


Will you be asking that question if they offer you an an interview?

I was thinking if I wore a dress to the interview, it might evade the question. ;)


You are confused Hairy or perhaps inexperienced as cross dressing does not imply LGBT.


That is correct, but, if the interviewers are sticking to the current PC script then they shouldn't challenge the gender of the applicant.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3556
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: LGBT

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Gender is not the question.

If the OP cannot distinguish between transvestite and transgender, then I suspect that she would not be considered a suitable candidate.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19847
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: LGBT

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:04 pm

I am interested to know how and where you think the line should be drawn Atti.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: LGBT

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Where is the line drawn between chalk and cheese?
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19847
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

PreviousNext

Return to Employment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests