Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Taking annual leave instead of sick leave?

Employment and Discrimination Law

Re: Taking annual leave instead of sick leave?

Postby atticus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm

This is heading for trouble. The employee should not do this. The employer should not go along with it. The underlying problem needs to be dealt with - the man's health issues.

What will happen when he runs out of holiday?
atticus

Postby dls » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 pm

the employee needs to understand the company's policies.

Most should say that, yes, repeated sick absences can trigger an investigation which might in turn lead to a disciplinary process. If the sickness is genuine then it should not make that progress.

He should study and understand the policy.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Attendance at Work policies are there, not only to discourage absenteeism, but to identify health problems (particularly those that might be being caused at work) and to deal with them.

From the employer's point of view, it looks horribly like he's saying "Give me an Annual Leave day today, or I'll go sick." That's not fair on his colleagues or to his employer. If I were his boss, I'd be terrified that we'd end up in front of a Tribunal with him saying "Every time I was ill, they'd make me take it as Annual Leave."
Smouldering Stoat

Postby YorkshireBloke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi,

A Duty of Care is to record sickness absence accurately, distinguishing disability linked absence from "hangovers" from stress related stuff (for example).

Knowledge of the patterns can help keep staff fit and employers outside of Tribunal...

BUT a bit of human kindness, allowing the occasional holiday day rather than trigger an unnecessary disciplinary might be a kindness??

Maybe we don't realise the devastating humiliation some employees feel about being disciplined. Many will leave rather than be in that disciplinary imho.

Thoughts?
YorkshireBloke

Postby dls » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 am

The last is a proper point. There is clear possibility of beginning it at least underanon-diciplinary procedure.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Employment