Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Meaning of "Annoyance".

Meaning of "Annoyance".

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Communication Act 2003 wrote:(2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—
(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,
(b)causes such a message to be sent; or
(c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

Seems to suggest that an annoying bit of sarcasm posted on t'internet might be a criminal offence...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Meaning of "Annoyance".

Postby theycantdothat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Seems to suggest that an annoying bit of sarcasm posted on t'internet might be a criminal offence...

The CPS say:

"Section 127(2) targets false messages and persistent misuse intended to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; it includes somebody who persistently makes silent phone calls (usually covered with only one information because the gravamen is one of persistently telephoning rendering separate charges for each call unnecessary)."

"Annoyance" is too general a word to use. "Nuisance" would have been better.
Last edited by theycantdothat on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:07 pm

As tcdt indicates, paragraphs (a) to (c) are not to be overlooked.
atticus

Postby Jinxer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:38 pm

I persistently get phone calls and when I answer they hang up. When I check the number in google it usually belongs to claim management companies, does that act mean I can now report them to the Police because it annoys me.
It's ok your children are safe, they're locked away behind barbed wire gates. If you don't comply sir they'll send you another fine sir.
Jinxer

Postby Rick Ape » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Although it's most annoying, their intent is presumably to make you call them back in order to get your custom which doesn't complete this offence.

You can report them to the Information Commissioner’s Office, and should consider registering your phone numbers with the TPS barring service.
Rick Ape

Return to Other Law