Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Equality law to sing about

Equality law to sing about

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 am

The Chief Constable of Derbyshire constabulary has severed the force ties with the choir formerly known as Derbyshire Constabulary Male Voice Choir.

My question is, has he been unlawfully discriminatory in his actions? A male voice choir would be expected to have a vocal range and sound that would be different to that of a mixed sex choir, or indeed a female choir. On that basis I would have thought they would be entitled to retain the 'male' distinction.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Re: Equality law to sing about

Postby theycantdothat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am

A classic case of a well-meant action giving ammunition to the saloon bar "it's political correctness gone mad" brigade. A bit of Googling suggests that his idea was that he did not want the force represented by aging white males, which seems fair enough. The mistake was to insist that the choir should be a mixed voice choir. A male voice choir, the most famous probably being the Red Army Choir, is a specific thing with its own sound, as is an all female choir. A better idea would have been to have encouraged the formation of an all female choir.
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am

internet searching also indicates that there are no serving police officers in this choir.

Knees do appear to have been jerking.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am

theycantdothat wrote:A classic case of a well-meant action giving ammunition to the saloon bar "it's political correctness gone mad" brigade. A bit of Googling suggests that his idea was that he did not want the force represented by aging white males, which seems fair enough. The mistake was to insist that the choir should be a mixed voice choir. A male voice choir, the most famous probably being the Red Army Choir, is a specific thing with its own sound, as is an all female choir. A better idea would have been to have encouraged the formation of an all female choir.

I can't quite see why you accept the action was well meant. If the choir had carried the name "Derbyshire Constabulary Choir" then it might be well meant to suggest they change the name to Derbyshire Constabulary Male Voice Choir" to specify more fairly it's nature. Neither is there any reason to suppose it's fair enough to not want the force represented by ageing white males. I think that's anything but fair unless it was the only representation of that police force.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby theycantdothat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 pm

shootist wrote:Neither is there any reason to suppose it's fair enough to not want the force represented by ageing white males. I think that's anything but fair unless it was the only representation of that police force.

It comes down to what choirs are repesenting the force. If there is only one choir and it is a male voice choir rather than a choir open to all, one can ask why.
theycantdothat

Return to Other Law